Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK: Axle Shaft Install & Best Brand

So... I haven't had much luck finding any spares for my Jeep so it looks like I'm going to cash in my full axle budget and upgrade to chromo's in the rear and just buy some cheapo OEM ones as spares for the front. I have a couple questions though for you folks with more wisdom than I...

1. Should I do the rear or the front? I can only afford to upgrade one set, it seems to me the rear breaks the most so I'm going that route for now.

2. How difficult is it to get these things in there and properly installed? Do I need to worry about backlash or anything like you would with a Ring and Pinion, or should I just be able to slide them in and call it good?

3. G2 or Ten Factory axles? Any experience with either?

I've got till the end of this month to decide when I'll have the budget ready for the axles and spare u-joints; so I'm open to some debate and lots of thoughts.
    USMC F&AM

Talk to Robert at www.rwkhaussupply.com :-). He's a good person to deal with.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

What is it your working on? What rear axle does it have? What size tire?

If a D44 Rear, then I would worry about the front first. A 4340 axle will not stretch and the ujoint cap hole will not oblong typically and there for you have a significantly lower chance at breaking at the ujoint, the #1 reason for stock axle failure in a D30. Also in a quality kit you get true Spicer Ujoints which are stronger and last longer then the part store stuff (Autozone, napa, pepboys etc, all sell inferior ujoints to Spicer).

I would NEVER do a G/2 set! Never. They are the same shafts as the Ten Factory, but to get ANY warranty issue if ever needed, its extremely tough, especially at a dealer level. I HATE ever having to call anyone at the transamerica call center for anything other then to give them money. No one wants to help, no one that can help knows anything about parts, and warranty can take 5-30 days for a answer once they get them back in hand.

For the front, I would do a USA Standard set, then a tie between Ten Factory and Yukon. All three are good very strong shafts. USA Standard has a 1 yr warranty. Ten factory a 10yr, and Yukon a lifetime. USA Standard are the lowest cost, saving you about 125$ or more. Then ten factory and Yukon basically the same.

For the rear, do a Ten Factory set.

As for installing either front or rear shafts. Its very easy. As long as the rear is a D44, then you do not even have to drain the oil, if you do one side at a time and jack up that one side about 10-12" over the other and work one side at a time. The rear will need the axle retainer, bearing, and seal pressed on.

Just my experience....

If you need anything email or call gets a better price then whats on my website.

Robert
      robert@rwkhaussupply.com
      714-875-2414
      *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

Working...
      X