Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i guess that v-6 is the way to go i was thinkin bout changein but my 304 amc has so much tor.so i think ill saty with that
    I am the Tarzan!

Comment

You will miss out on the joy of working a V-6

Comment

I run an OF Dauntless V6 in my '71. It was a stock offering, '71 was the last year for it.
        I've added a Pertronix ignitor, some headers, FlowKooler water pump, Melling Hi-Vol oil pump, otherwise stock with ~80K on it.
        Lynn
        '71 CJ5
        www.earlycj5.com

Comment

I'm debating the v-6 or a v-8. The v-8 that keeps coming to mind is a 4.6 out of a cobra mustang. I used to have one and it's got some pep. The only thing is that it's a big ass engine, although it's all aluminum. So weight it's as much an issue. I just wonder how much of a pain in the Arse it will be. Hence the v-6 swap keeps coming to mind, plus they are already in 4x4's.
          [COLOR=black]1979 CJ5, 4" Lift, 33", TBI[/COLOR]

Comment

Dauntless Jeeper too!

I've got a 67 cj5 with an oddfire dauntless v6. This has been a great engine. I haven't done much to it other then a pertronics ignitor. Only drawback is trying to find a good carb that doesn't give me troubles all the time.

Comment

I run a motorcraft 2100. You need an adapter to get it onto the stock manifold - but it runs great over bumpy stuff and at angles.

Comment

The V6s will be out in force the weekend of June 11-12 for its Hanna Flats and Holcomb Creek trail time, me included with my '47 2A

Comment

Hello Hammers!!!! I run a Dauntless V6 in my 63 CJ5 and it has been a great motor, and I have no intention of a swap.... Mine is completly stock with a set of headers... my only question is what can I do to improve an already awsome motor!!!! Thanks and great to be a part of the site!!!!!

Comment

What distributor are you running in your V6?

GM HEI from an OF 231 is ideal, but you need to grind a bit off of the one bolt on the front of the manifold to get the bigger distributor "head" to seat. If you are also running power steering, you need to be sure that the pump bracket allows enough room for the HEI. The solution to that, of course, is to run the PS pump bracket from a 231...

Places like Cape Conversions and Davis Unified Ignitions have these HEI set ups ready to drop in, in the neighborhood of $250 IIRC... Or you can search boneyards and pick one up for ~$25, and replace the cap/rotor/coil for under $100.

If you are running points ignition with a Delco distributor (with the "window")
                    the best thing you can do is to install a Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition; it replaces the points with a sensor and magnet ring. I installed mine 10 years ago and it's still the single best improvement I've made, and it's under $100 from Summit Racing. Use Pertronix part number 1165.
                    The Pertronix cured all of the hesitation and cough I used to experience, and I have SMOOTH idle at ~650 RPM !!

If you are running a PrestoLite distributor, swap it out for one of the above.

For alot more info on your year Jeep and that Dauntless V6, check out the home page and the forums at
                    http://www.earlycj5.com

HTH, good luck!!
                    Lynn
                    '71 CJ5
                    www.earlycj5.com

Comment

I have done the 4.3tbi conversion from a 91 s-10, with a 4l60 non electric.I had the hole truck and it still needed lots of aftermarket things to work.Do you want to still smog the jeep?The engine needes to be newer than the jeep, and has to have ALL the smog stuff for the year of the car/truck it comes out of.I have pics i will update or send to show what a pain in the @!! it is.Shifters,fan spacing, vortec and tbi motors are reverse rotation. I had a 2.5 with a 5spd, (still have anyone need? $$) gauge ohms are different, the fuel lines need to be replaced, jeeps are smaller than GMs, the drive shaft will need to be shortend, (i found a local guy here in gardena) the trans end yokes are different. If I could go back and do it again, I would buy one someone has done......
                      The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Originally posted by freewaydan
                        I have done the 4.3tbi conversion from a 91 s-10, with a 4l60 non electric.I had the hole truck and it still needed lots of aftermarket things to work.Do you want to still smog the jeep?The engine needes to be newer than the jeep, and has to have ALL the smog stuff for the year of the car/truck it comes out of.I have pics i will update or send to show what a pain in the @!! it is.Shifters,fan spacing, vortec and tbi motors are reverse rotation. I had a 2.5 with a 5spd, (still have anyone need? $$) gauge ohms are different, the fuel lines need to be replaced, jeeps are smaller than GMs, the drive shaft will need to be shortend, (i found a local guy here in gardena) the trans end yokes are different. If I could go back and do it again, I would buy one someone has done......
                        I've had mine (4.3L) running around for quite a while now and other then the wiring it wasn't bad at all. Plenty of power with my 35's and 4.56 gears, and now that I have the brakes dialed in it stops better then it goes!!!!
                        I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

I have 4.56 on 325/60r15 bfg mt locked front and rear, the thing flys along.I put crossdrilled rotors with bendix pads on mine and it stops just fine
                          The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

dauntless

Yeah i have a dauntless 225 in my 71 cj5. It is a good little engine? do you know of any good mods you can do to a dauntless 225. If so i would be very intereted to get some power out of it. it does ok.
                            Last edited by creepinjeep71; 10-06-05, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Cj-7 V-6

I have an 86 CJ-7 running a '91 Chevy 4.3 engine and a 350 tranny. It is my hunting Jeep. I run it in a lot of loose sand and would like some advice about a posi rear end. It has the AMC 20 with solid axils . It also has an Edelbrock 4 bl carb and aluminum intake and of course dual exhaust.

Comment

Don't get a Trak-lock factory type. The Power-Lok is a better design with longer lasting clutches and more grip. I ran a Power-Lok in the front with the factory Trak-lock rear and I did great in the sand.
                                1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                                My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
                                X