Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-6 Peoples

So I guess we lost our V-6 action when this thread got wasted, so I am inviting those who are sportin a V-6 to get it on! I hate to see this forum with nothing in it, so come on people! (I know, trailbst is the only one, but hey - maybe he'll post something).... Maybe I'll just find a Chevy 4.3L and drop it in instead of doing the EFI swap on the 4.2....hahahahahhaaaaa....

Nah.

:shades:
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Gotta be someone out there lucky enough to have the Dauntless V-6 ?

Comment

Ooh, Ooh! That's me Jim. I got one, a Dauntless V-6 that is. Rick sorry about wasting this thread, part of my childish overreaction.

A Vortec 4.3 instead of a EFI 4.2, hmmm, how do the torque specs compare?? It would definitely lighten up the front end some.

Comment

I have faaarrrrr too much money in my 258 to switch now...and more is being dumped in the 4.0L head right now. So that was pretty much a joke...I think. I wish I woulda salvaged the S-10 I totaled instead of taking the payoff $, but then I prolly wouldn't have as much stuff on the jeep, or maybe I never woulda even bought the jeep.

There are a couple of 4.3 Chevy guys in the Victor Valley 4 wheelers, it looks like a really nice swap if done well. The guy we talked to there said he really enjoys that motor. He indicated that it has plenty of torque, but I'm pretty sure he was running some serious gear under that rig, it was built to Sledgehammer specs. Im thinking 100:1 crawl ratio there, so I think he could have a 4 banger and not complain about torque...

And yes, something made of aluminum on the 258 or 4.0L would be kinda cool, those things are tanks. But then again, they last a long time having 5 main bearings, which you don't get even on a small block V-8. That's the straight 6's biggest advantage from a longevity standpoint.
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I'm starting my 4.3L swap at the end of the month. Anyone want to jump in and help? Beer and piazza provided!!!!!
          I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
            I'm starting my 4.3L swap at the end of the month. Anyone want to jump in and help? Beer and piazza provided!!!!!
            What kind of Jeep are sticking it in?? I would gladly help if I were out there.

Comment

95.5 YJ. Here's what it'll end up with, just for the record.

2000 4.3L Vortec
              2000 4L603
              1972 Bronco D20 with twin sticks
              ???? Toyota 2wd V6 rear
              ???? Cadillac disc brake calipers
              Whatever rotor I find that will work
              ???? Mercury Grand Marquis master cylinder

Comment

You might be able to talk me into helping out....especially if beer is involved! If the 4.3 came out of a '00, it should be rated at 190hp/250ft-lbs (at least that is what my '00 S-10 was rated for).

Since it looks like you are taking the tranny out of the same vehicle that the engine came out of, did you get the PCM too? Who is going to write the software for it? Or are you going to use a tranny controller (like the B&M) and write your own?

I'm at 37th and pacific, where are you at?
                olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I got the PCM, but I'm picking up a 96 one to get away from the VATS. Still not sure who I'll source the wiring and computer to though.

Wow, you are close. I'm at 35th and Pacific on the Air Force Base.

Comment

Ok, ever since I started driving past the base on a daily basis, I have always wondered:

Why is the base there? What is it's purpose? All I can tell is that it looks like a place for all the old guys to spend their "twilight tour" at. What 'ya got going on there?
                    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Fort MacArthur is part of the Los Angeles Air Force Base, it's one of 3 seperate housing areas (the other 2 are up on 25th near Western). The 'work' part of the base is in El Segundo, and it's a Space and Missle Command base.
                      There's also personnel from the Coast Guard base that live there... Army, Navy, and Marine recruiters... and a bunch of multi-branch guys that are translators.

Comment

I see that Rick is inviting V-6 fans to participate, this could be dangerous.
                        It looks like I'm the last survivor with a V-6. My Jeep was a limited addition in 1971, it came with a V-6, T-18 close ratio 4spd, 4.88's & a Warn overdrive. I run a 390 Holley 4 barrel, headers & a MSD ignition. I'm increasing my tires to 33's, which will hurt my low end, so I'm in the process of adapting a Scout T-19 wide ratio 4 spd. This will bring my final ratio to 75 to 1.The 75 to 1 will be an improvment over the stock ratio of 48 to 1, It will allow me to work the boulders at about 750 rpm's as apposed to 550 with the 48 to 1.
                        Last edited by Whitelighting; 07-30-04, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Always willing to give a helping hand! Love learning new things. If I'm not work be glad to help out. I'm out in the High Desert area. Just drop me a line. When your ready. :beer:
                          [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                          In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Always good to see someone is willing to give a helping hand though. :thumbs_up Gotta love MJR!!!!
                            [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
                            [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for the offer D4X4Fish, but I will be doing the job by myself. I live in the northern Sierra's so it would be a long haul for you. I'm going to wait until it starts snowing before I start. I have a good size shop with a wood stove, so it's a fun way to spend the winter.

Comment

Working...
                              X