Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Dana 30 spare axles

Yesterday Jason broke the passenger front u joint at the west end of 3N93. He had spare axles with him. This got me thinking that the spare axles in my garage are useless just sitting there. So I dug them out to put a pair in my Jeep.

I have upgraded chrome-molly axles and the spares are not.
    One is the two piece that were put in the YJ's so they could run open when in 2wd.
    I have another one that is solid, but it has a gear on the end which I assume is for a locking hub.

I do have a couple of questions.

Question 1. Does the gear matter if I don't have locking hubs?

2. If it does matter, could the two piece axle be welded so it is one piece?

3. One of the axles has a metal sleeve pressed on it about 1-1/2" back from the yoke and is about 2-1/2" in diameter. Should that be removed?

~ Thanks ~
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

I think I know what you are talking about but a picture or two would be great.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

yeah, post a couple of pics, Roger
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Well for those that do carry spares, I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. Break loose the unit bolt bearing every so often. It will make the trail fix easier. More later.
        Last edited by Jason; 04-28-13, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
          Well for those that do carry spares, I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. Break loose the unit bolt bearing every so often. It will make the trail fix easier. More later.
          AND... remember to tighten the son of a bitch back when you're done!

Comment

I'll post photos tomorrow - Thanks
            MJR moderator
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              I'll post photos tomorrow - Thanks
              I think that gear is for the abs... I went to the jy last weekend trying to find a one piece for my yj, and was only able to find shafts with that ring around it.

Comment

Originally posted by minisaba View Post
                I think that gear is for the abs... I went to the jy last weekend trying to find a one piece for my yj, and was only able to find shafts with that ring around it.
                Ahhh, the tone ring.
                holes = cowbell

Comment

How to remove the unit bearing, courtesy of Stu Olsen and Mr. Blaine:
                  http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unit...tbearing-1.htm
                  If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                  KI6MLU

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	YJ Front Axles 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	563.9 KB
ID:	358271Click image for larger version

Name:	YJ Front Axles 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	518.5 KB
ID:	358272

Left to right:

1. axle has some sort of a metal sleeve pressed on it approx 2.5" Dia

2. Lip was bent, but I was able to straighten it out in the vise.

3. Two piece axle

4. Solid axle but has the gear on it.

Would the best thing to do is put the solid axle shaft (#4) on the #3 knuckle?

I have no clue with what to do with the sleeve axle (1) are sleeves supposed to be on all of them?
                    MJR moderator
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

The metal sleeve on the shaft is to keep junk from going into the axle tube and ripping up the seal. Make sure to measure the u-joint caps on all of them. The 1995's all had 5-597x joints. '87-'94 all had 5-260x joints. The solid axle with the tone ring has the larger 5-597x joint that you can replace with the stronger 5-760x. The 597 is no slouch, but the 760 is just stronger. Measure between the outer face of the tone ring and the end of the shaft. Then measure from the same face of the tone ring to the center of the u-joint. If it's the same, run that shaft, I'll have to look up what seal to use, but there is a single lip seal - and another double lip seal that fit inside the axle tube at the carrier without having to grind the tube. It's really no stronger than the two peice axle, but has less moving parts to fail. If you have a 1995 outer, just put it in and run it.
                      God forgives, rocks don't
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

6spdYJ, I have solid chrome-molly axles in my Dana 30. I plan on carrying a set just for spares in case I break one on the trail.
                        MJR moderator
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]1177[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1178[/ATTACH]

Left to right:

1. axle has some sort of a metal sleeve pressed on it approx 2.5" Dia

2. Lip was bent, but I was able to straighten it out in the vise.

3. Two piece axle

4. Solid axle but has the gear on it.

Would the best thing to do is put the solid axle shaft (#4) on the #3 knuckle?

I have no clue with what to do with the sleeve axle (1) are sleeves supposed to be on all of them?
                          The gear on the far right is for anti lock brakes. It comes off.

Comment

You could also find some used TJ or later XJ axle shafts that way you do not have to bother with the disconnect and or damage the seal on the passenger side in the diff housing

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                              and stick it back together with some anti seize slobbed on the outside of the bearing housing

Comment

Working...
                              X