Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D44 Trac Lok - Worth the effort?

I had a postal DJ-5 Dana 44 fall in my lap this morning. I haven't checked yet, but what I've read so far indicates the DJ-5 had either 3.73 or 3.08 gearing with Trac Lok. If it does have this carrier, would it be worth the effort to swap it into my Scout 44? I'm already running Rubicon 4.10's, so the low ratio carrier will work. Durability is the biggest concern. My open carrier has handled Holcomb, so I know it's strong enough for my needs. I know the clutches do wear out, but worst case I'd just be back to open. So... Worth the effort or not?

Lets skip the comments about just get an ARB or Detroit. I would obviously use one of them if they showed up the same way this did.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

I don't think the durability would be a problem for you. I did find a broken spider gear tooth in mine, but you're running those in your open case anyway. How much of that was due to the trac-lok, I don't know. Can make a significant difference in dirt and stuff. Rocks with one wheel spinning, not so much. You would definitely notice it on dry asphalt.

Then there's the extra clutch stuffing mod, which may help, or may put just a little too much extra strain on the weak carrier.

If you figure in an install kit: bearings, shims, etc., a clutch kit, you're going to be in the price range of a good used lunchbox locker, which will give you a lot more traction, and be a lot easier to install.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
      I know the clutches do wear out, but worst case I'd just be back to open. So... Worth the effort or not?
      No, it's not.
      It's a well known fact that the Trac Lok case is weak, especially early designs.
      What year is the Postal 44?
      So what's worse than what you describe? A totally blown rear axle when the case breaks in half and takes out everything inside.
      In my opinion, you'd be better off with an open diff than the T-Lok.

Comment

Originally posted by jpflat2a View Post
        No, it's not.
        It's a well known fact that the Trac Lok case is weak, especially early designs.
        What year is the Postal 44?
        So what's worse than what you describe? A totally blown rear axle when the case breaks in half and takes out everything inside.
        In my opinion, you'd be better off with an open diff than the T-Lok.
        Yeah, it's known to be weak, but Ted's running smallish tires with modest gearing. Also, it's his daily driver, so he's not trying to get crazy on the trail. It's not THAT weak. You're still likely right about it not being worth it the trouble.

Ted, if it doesn't work out with the DJ D44 and you want to try a Trac Lok, you can have my old one. Was gonna eBay it, but found the broken toof. You could magnaflux the case to be safe.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

Well... You both reminded me about the tire scrub I'd get in town - being a daily driver. Not to mention I may go a bit bigger in tire size. Thanks guys, this is exactly the input I was looking for. At this point it's up to what condition I find it to be in and if I can get the time to do it. So, I won't be in any rush to tear into it - if I do.
          -sons of thunder

Comment

How wide is the axle, Ted?
            holes = cowbell

Comment

If its a early enough D44 then its 19spline shafts. And your Scout should be 30spline shafts...
              *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

52" wms-wms with 10" drums and 34 1/2" between spring pins, centered carrier with 3.08's and does have the friction modifier tag, had 2 1/2" wide springs - SOA.
                -sons of thunder

Comment

So basically, the housing is the same width as your Scout D44. Here's my thought: maybe you run one of your 44s while you put a truss and link brackets on the other? Just a thought.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Forgot to add - flanged, 30 spline. David, the Scout is 58 1/2" wms-wms. Toss up between using the carrier and parting out the brakes or selling it whole.
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

You're right, I stand corrected. Will the spring perches work? Other than that, what's the wheel bolt pattern on the shafts?
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

5x5 1/2"
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

Considering it's your DD, give it a little thought.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Not gonna link the back of the YJ. However I did get a set of 9's that I'm looking into using the Poly kit and putting them on the back of the limo. Been seeing that guys get 5 1/2" running 12's on that kit. I just need about 1-1 1/2" over stock. I'd like to drop the back and get rid of the stinkbug effect. It's not a crawler by any means and since I have the most costly components just sitting around, why not look into it?
                            -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                              Not gonna link the back of the YJ.
                              Oh yes you will. You just don't know it yet.
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                              X