Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arb

Looks like I need to get my arb/carrier out of my D30 to get some work done on it. I understand how to drop it out, question is, once it's time to get it back in do I need a case spreader and need to reset my backlash etc? I'm assuming the answer is yes.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

You should. If the shims are loose enough to put it back without one, it is not set up correctly. Those like to be in there nice and snug.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

If you can get it in and out without a spreader your preload is 99% certain not set up correctly
      "A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools" -Thucydides

Comment

you may hate me for this message... but your locker/ring and pinion are one of those areas where it doesn't hurt to ensure a professional installs them correctly...

Comment

Just be careful; you can spread the case too far and ruin it. No more than 50 thousandths. MAX. It shouldn't take anywhere near that to get the shims and carrier back in.
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

If you have to use a case spreader on a D30 then it was likely installed with one and INCORRECTLY!

I have only needed a case spreader on a D30 one or two times in the last like 10 years! the dana 30 housing is perfectly placed to where you just use a pry bar into the carrier/locker relief holes or under a carrier/ring gear bolt on the pass side in line with the axle tube, and it should come right out. About 25% of them can be pulled out by hand, straight from Dana, especially the JK dana 30's.

As for spreading it .050" Thats WAY to far. Over 3 times to far, according to Dana.

The max you should spread a dana 30 is .015", if you must.
            *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

The last time I rebuilded my 30, I didn't use a spreader. I'm old school so I shimed it so I needed to persuade it in with a rubber mallet. So far it has worked better and lasted longer then when I used a spreader. (just what worked for me)
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

The last three times that I pulled my D30 carrier, I didn't use a carrier and I have had zero issues so far. That rubber or rawhide mallet sure does come in handy though.
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  The last three times that I pulled my D30 carrier, I didn't use a carrier and I have had zero issues so far. That rubber or rawhide mallet sure does come in handy though.
                  I appreciate the advice guys. After TDS, I'll be ripping it out and selling it. On to something bigger and better.....

Comment

Well, TDS was fun. I had ordered up the 6 replacement bolts from ARB. I paid nothing. Not even shipping. ARB customer service is great. I put in 2 of the 3 missing bolts and decided to baby the locker at TDS and if anything to not use it at all. Yeah right! When I got home Sunday afternoon I began my teardown and rip out of the 30 for my 44 replacement. 1st thing was to drain the gear oil. It was 2 days old. I pop the cover and it came out with flake and chunks of bolts.. COOL! I tore 4 bolt heads off and one walked its way out. I had 1 bolt holding the end cover on. Funny thing, the ARB worked perfectly. My gears werent messed up either. After I pulled the axles out I unbolted the carrier and the ARB just fell out of the housing so yeah I guess you can say that a bent D30 will mess up your preload.
                    I then had to cut off the outer C's for a core return to Currie. PITA with a York210 and a disc grinder but got it done.

Going to have a knee replacement in the next couple of wks so once I pick up the new front it it'll be sitting in the garage for a few months until I recover. Found out I have a torn ACL, a torn MCL, almost no meniscus, a torn LCL and arthritis all over the place. ACL was already replaced in 2001 so it might be a hard re-fix. Looks like a whole knee might be in order. Good times. I'll post up pix of the jeep when she's done.

Comment

I hope you worked a lot of overtime between 9 and 6 months ago, so you get a decent disability check

Comment

Actually I did but it's still gonna suck. Disability is somewhere around 60%. That's gonna be horrible. I'll cash out my vacation (7 days), my PPT (4 days) and holiday pay (10 days) then add my tax return and I MIGHT just make it. If a new knee is in order then I may be screwed. ACL, MCL, etc takes 5-8 wks to heal, a new knee takes 3-6 months. Talking to my car finance company to see if they will put a few months on deferment. I've never been a day late so they might. Also gonna try it w/a few other creditors. There goes this yrs fun ....

Comment

Working...
                        X