Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Check Engine Code 05 03

So I've been trying to figure out exactly what to repair since this code "05 03" appeared on my instrument cluster. I'm hoping to pick the brains of mechanically inclined fellow Jeepers. Let me fill you in on a little history and where it started.

-I had the clutch replaced on my Jeep about two months ago at a local shop and went wheeling several times with no problems. At the same time we replaced the clutch, we raised the motor mounts 1.5", the transfercase 1.25" and a 1" body lift.
    -After clutch replacement and additionol lift the Jeep had a louder cranking noise which is annoying but I paid it no mind. I asked the shop why my Jeep sounds like that now when starting and they said it's because we raised the engine, transmission and exhaust and because everything is higher now, the exhaust is touching the frame and so its louder. Didn't make sense to me but I trust them so I paid it no mind.
    -Last week I installed a new oil pan. I removed the exhaust to replace the oil pan but did not disconnect the 02 sensor wire on the exhaust (upstream 02 sensor). The exhaust was resting on the control arms and frame of my jeep. During installation of the oil pan the exhaust pipe dropped and hung on the wire. I inspected wire on the exhaust but did not find any damage, although I did not inspect any further up the wire.
    -A few days after oil pan replacement I drove the Jeep to work and all is great. On my way back home that night, I exit the freeway and I notice the Jeep starting to vibrate a bit at the stop light, like it's misfiring.
    -Check engine light comes on. Check engine ligt starts to flash. I self diagnose and get error code 05 03, which based on my research states "Vehicle Speed Sensor Intermittent".
    The next morning I go to start my Jeep and the starter makes this crazy real high sound and the Jeep hesitates to start, but it does start and now the starter is loud and it sounds like its grinding metal or something. When I say the starter is loud, I mean that mother F****** is LOUD! I hope I did not mess up the flywheel which I will check tonight.

So now I will replace the starter and check the flywheel but based on the information provided, what shoud be repaired to clear error code 05 03? The information I gathered from research shows I should just replace the VSS which is located behind the transmission near the rear driveshaft. But will that sensor cause the engine to vibrate or do I need to inspect the 02 sensor wire further?

I'm learning slowly but surely. Thanks for any help provided.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Regardless of a message, you shouldnt be getting ANY grinding noises, or metal on metal nothing!!!! The shop did a #$## job on your clutch job. period. Check your crank sensor as well. Check your wiring and connections at the back of your transfer case and generally just get on your back and look around for something that's not right. Regardless as to whether or not a wire is faulty and is throwing you a code, it sounds more like a jacked up clutch job. You shouldnt be having any noises, esp right after work like that. Seems pretty fishy to me.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
      Regardless of a message, you shouldnt be getting ANY grinding noises, or metal on metal nothing!!!! The shop did a #$## job on your clutch job. period. Check your crank sensor as well. Check your wiring and connections at the back of your transfer case and generally just get on your back and look around for something that's not right. Regardless as to whether or not a wire is faulty and is throwing you a code, it sounds more like a jacked up clutch job. You shouldnt be having any noises, esp right after work like that. Seems pretty fishy to me.
      I have to say that the clutch itself works fine, shifts fine, drives smooth with no problems, it's just the initial crank that got louder. The shop that worked on my Jeep has been working on it for four years and I've never had a problem so I'm going to take it back to them and have them look at it to make sure nothing is wrong with the clutch. Thanks for the input.

Comment

hmm. then check your starter, check your crank sensor and check all the wires to the 02's to make sure they arent damaged.
        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

hmm. then check your starter, check your crank sensor and check all the wires to the 02's to make sure they arent damaged.
          I'm uploading a video right now with the cranking noise of the Jeep. I'll post it once it's uploaded. Also, I checked the flywheel, the teeth have been grinded a little bit but not excessive.

Comment

Hi Shant, you can always swing by my house after about 5pm.
            I'll gladly give you my 5 cents on the whole situation, it's kinda a bitch to hold up the Jeep to the phone to figure out what's wrong.
            Non withstanding that I have fixed quite a few vehicles over the phone :-)
            Has Khoren tried out his ugly Betty yet?

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              Hi Shant, you can always swing by my house after about 5pm.
              I'll gladly give you my 5 cents on the whole situation, it's kinda a bitch to hold up the Jeep to the phone to figure out what's wrong.
              Non withstanding that I have fixed quite a few vehicles over the phone :-)
              Has Khoren tried out his ugly Betty yet?
              Ugly Betty?! HAHAHA, that's funny. Not yet, were getting his tow-rig ready. Thanks for the help Art.

Comment

Your description almost sounds like a bad throwout bearing making the noise. I had one that screamed like a banshee after two days. Bad part is, if they lock up you'll burn the fingers on your pressure plate and grind them down too. Stick a magnet near the drain holes at the bottom of the bellhousing and see if you get any steel flakes. A refrigerator magnet should be able to actually reach up in there.

The speed sensor issue may be the pickup harness being streched over or around something - or melting on the exhaust.
                God forgives, rocks don't
                -sons of thunder

Comment

Chck out this sound. Now that I hear it on video it's mpre obvious that it's the starter. Although this thing doesn't sound normal in person, I've never heard it before.
                  http://youtu.be/gBo8rDy9NNk

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                    Your description almost sounds like a bad throwout bearing making the noise. I had one that screamed like a banshee after two days. Bad part is, if they lock up you'll burn the fingers on your pressure plate and grind them down too. Stick a magnet near the drain holes at the bottom of the bellhousing and see if you get any steel flakes. A refrigerator magnet should be able to actually reach up in there.

The speed sensor issue may be the pickup harness being streched over or around something - or melting on the exhaust.
                    Thanks for the info. It's interesting you mention that because I noticed some fluid at the bottom of the bell housing after I drove it. It was clear fluid. I wiped it off and nothing is there now. I'm assuming it happened after I drove it.

Comment

Some more information I forgot to mention. After the new clutch installed, my clutch would make a whining noise when I just touched the clutch pedal. If I let go or press it in all the way, the whining noise goes away. After the check engine light came on, I started hearing a knocking noise but it didn't sound like an engine knocking noise.

Comment

Did you drop the starter when you did the pan? Some starters need to be shimmed for full engagement of the teeth. If you lost a shim, the teeth could be off a bit. Also, did they change out the flywheel? Another test you can do is pull the starter and hold it in a vice while powering it with a battery. Just make sure it's secure - they'll jump. But, don't crush it. See if it's coming from the orbital gearbox on the starter itself.
                        Can you start it in neutral without pressing the clutch? If you can, try it with the clutch engaged in neutral, then clutch disengaged in neutral, then disengaged in gear. See if it makes the sound go away or change at all.
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                          Did you drop the starter when you did the pan? Some starters need to be shimmed for full engagement of the teeth. If you lost a shim, the teeth could be off a bit. Also, did they change out the flywheel? Another test you can do is pull the starter and hold it in a vice while powering it with a battery. Just make sure it's secure - they'll jump. But, don't crush it. See if it's coming from the orbital gearbox on the starter itself.
                          Can you start it in neutral without pressing the clutch? If you can, try it with the clutch engaged in neutral, then clutch disengaged in neutral, then disengaged in gear. See if it makes the sound go away or change at all.
                          Great info, thank you. I did not have to remove the starter while changing the oil pan. I'm not sure if the flywheel was changed during the clutch replacement but I will remove the starter tomorrow and conduct your test to see the results. Thank You

Comment

Also, the engine will not start with-out pressing the clutch.

Comment

There should be a plunger type switch located fairly high on the clutch pedal. It will be mounted so that when the clutch is in, the plunger goes out and vice-verse. It basically does the same job as a neutral safety switch on an automatic. If you pull it out and let it fully extend you should be able to do those tests. Just be sure not to try it with the clutch engaged and in gear. Then you'll wind up with a whole 'nother set of problems Glad to help if I can.
                              If it all looks good but does the same thing again, there may be something broke loose and keeping your solenoid from fully throwing the bendix - which would cause partial engagement.
                              Last edited by 6spdYJ; 08-25-12, 09:52 PM.
                              -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                              X