Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to go with a 9 but....

I have needed a locker for ages... but the thought of building up my Dana turdy-five seemed like wasted money...

I just came into a litte extra cash.... I would like to get a Ford 9 for the rear of my TJ but I am afraid it will probably be too expensive...

For those of you that have done the swap to a 9 for a TJ, how much should I plan on spending?

I don't mind having a used rear-end so long as it is in good shape, so that may cut down on the cost. I stopped by Currie and it was a little pricey for me for their new 9 setup, so I am hoping that I can get some direction as to any other places in the SoCal area i can go to get this done. The hard part is i don't weld :mad: , so i have to have someone do it for me....

TFTH

MDP
    Riverside, CA

Have you considered a Ford 8.8? You will need to either grind off and re-weld your spring perches, but that is true of any swap you go with unless you find a stock TJ D44. Unfortunately, any already built 9" is going to cost you...
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I have considered the 8.8. It is a decent axle. But for the weight to strength... I put my money on a 9, especially considering the future build up calls for 37's

Comment

Originally posted by mparker
        I have considered the 8.8. It is a decent axle. But for the weight to strength... I put my money on a 9, especially considering the future build up calls for 37's
        A HP 9 built with an ARB will cost you anywhere from $2500-$3000 depending on what you want. It is not the ideal axle for 37's {low pinion would be stronger} If you truly want a tough axle and are looking at setting up your rig to run 37's, go for a shaved 60 {just add another grand or so }. Stepping up to 37's is a whole nother ball game. Lots of expensive changes need to be made if its truly going to be a trail rig.
        ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
        00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
        97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Go to the Junkyard and get an 8.8 from a 95-01 Exploder. It will be your cheepest way to go while maintaining moderate streingth. The real benefit there is that for around 1200 total including gears and locker, you will have DISC BRAKES in the rear. And buddy, if you are gonna do the RUBICON, FORDYCE or the DUCE, you are gonna' want those disc brakes in the rear. Especially with all the water and mud crossings on these trails. Best bang for your bux before you get into the big leagues and spend 3 grand + :lightning an axle....But, if you really want 37-38" tires, you may just be forced into spending the coin. <bling-bling>
          Rick
          Last edited by RangerRick; 07-07-04, 08:42 PM. Reason: duhh
          " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
          Rick W6RE

Comment

I was looking around the web and found a place to buy an 8.8
            http://www.ok4wd.com/product.asp?id=547
            if you cant find one
            [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
            In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Working...