Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Broken axle?

Today I broke this part on my 98 tj. Is this my axle and u-joint? Is it hard to replace? What do I ask for at the parts store?
    Sorry that this may seem like a dumb question but it's new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is the axle shaft and u-joint. It isn't hard to replace if you have the correct tools. You will need to remove the wheel, brakes and unit bearing. Slide the shaft out and put the new one in.

Good time up upgrade to chromoly axles.

I just got a great deal on new shafts from ROBERTK on here who owns www.rwkhaussupply.com. You might want to send him a PM and get a quote, he had axles at my door next day.

Comment

Can I upgrade just the one axle that broke or do I need to replace both if I upgrade to chromoly's? Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Normally you buy the chromolys in a set and do both sides. I broke one side, replaced with stock. Next trip broke other side and figured it was time for the chromos.

I think a set will cost from 500 to a grand depending on what you get. The RCV shafts are supposed to be the best but cost a lot. If money is tight you can throw another stock shaft in there to get back on the road (or off the road as the case may be) but if you broke it once it will probably happen again. What set up do you have on your TJ (i.e., tire size, lockers, T-Case, etc.)?

Comment

Tire size 35x13:50 - Arb's front and rear - Rebuilt tj case - Upgraded D44 rear w/chromoly's - Stock D30 front - 488's - Auto trans....

I watched a youtube video on how to do.... but that (I think he said 36 mm socket) is a real bear to get off for me, think I'll have to find a longer extension bar.

So what do I ask for if I wanna replace the whole shaft with the u-joint and the little shaft stub on the other end all together. I'm finding a big price difference so I'm thinking I'm not nameing it correctly.
          Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 07-25-12, 06:37 PM. Reason: add something more to say

Comment

You need an inner shaft, outer shaft (stub shaft) and the u-joint. On the inner shaft you will have to specify drivers or passengers side.

Also watch out because you can get aftermarket 30 spline axles but I would assume you have the stock 27 spline.
            Last edited by jonah; 07-25-12, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Just installed new chromoly axle's and parts that I ordered from ROBERTK on here who owns www.rwkhaussupply.com. Got a great deal on new shafts! Thanks ROBERTK.
              Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 07-31-12, 07:07 PM. Reason: Added axle was chromoly

Comment

Working...
              X