Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What/Where D44

I have a 98 TJ with a D30 diff. I heard I could pull a D44 out of a wrangler that I could stick in with very little problems.... but I'm not sure of what year of wrangler I need to find at a wrecking yard. I don't want to spend lots of money.

For front axle, Rubicon Dana 44 is direct bolt in or for the pricier stuff, Dyna trax or G2 make Dana 44 axles that will drop into the front of your TJ. Cheapest fix if your axle is toast is a High pinion Dana 30 out of an XJ, is a good little axle for up to 35" tires.
    Dana 44 axle in a Rubicon has a few advantages number 1 is a somewhat better gearing choice, you can go 5.13 and 5.38, The ring and pinion are a little bigger than the Dana 30 HP. It comes with a half way decent locker. That is about where all the advantages stop.

Comment

Currently I have the D44 33 spline rear with Chromoly shafts, I would like to do the same to the front end..... I heard that the older model waganers have what I need, but I finding it diffcult to find any infor on. I think going with the Rubi D44 would be more dollars then I want to spend.

Comment

Aren't the older Wagoneer axles wider than the TJ axles?
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

I think the Wagoneer Dana 44's are the ones they use as a upgrade for a CJ pumkin in the passenger side
          About the only thing that works for a TJ is a Ford Dana 44 or am I wrong about that?

Comment

I'm pretty sure the waggy 44's are driver drop. I was looking at them when I had a yj. That are not quite as wide as a full width, truck axle. But, they are much wider then a tj axle. A tj 44 is your best choice.
            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I need to do more research on what will actually work..... didn't know tj made a 44 for the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
                Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I need to do more research on what will actually work..... didn't know tj made a 44 for the front.
                TJ and LJ Rubicons. 03 to 06 They will bolt right in.
                It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Thanks for the info...... looks like new it would cost around $3,500 just for parts. Hmm, wonder what my mechanic would charge to install

Comment

The Waggy's had passenger drop 44's through about '81, then went to driver's side for the last few years. You'll have to deal with the 6 lug pattern. IIRC they had a 62 1/2" WMS distance, but if you put F-150 spindles and outers on it, they are about 3/4" narrower per side - and you can run 5 on 5 1/2" patterns front and back. But it's still LP. The only OEM HP44 I'm aware of is the '77-'79 Fords. At that, you'll have to narrow it and mount the tabs. However... The F-250 did have a HD HP44. A little hard to find, but they do exist.
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                    X