Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D30 High Pinion Axle Swap

Well since my tire wobble didn't turn out to be a suspension problem, I thought that I would continue the story in this forum. I got some great guidance from everyone last time so I thought that I would throw this out for discussion. If anyone else gains from it, then even better!

I broke a ring gear in my low pinion Dana 30 axle. I always try to make it a habit to upgrade something that I break. Since things are financially tight for me right now, I decided that the lowest cost option would be to swap out for a High Pinion axle.

Curtis met me at Pick-A-Part on Father's Day morning and in 1.5 hours from parking to leaving, we had a very straight, but greasy high pinion D30. It came out of a 90's XJ. I really appreciate the help Curtis! You Rock!

Kurt offered to help me set the new ring and pinion, but wanted to try to clean it up a little before I hauled this greasy thing down to his place:

Simple Green does a fair job normally, but this thing was still a crud-covered mess. I didn't want to waste anymore time and after dropping a heavy weight on my big toe, the fire to clean it any further went out.

Kurt, Art, and Nick all helped strip the old bits off and out of the housing:

Even Ozzie pushed a wrench!:

I got new 4.88 gears from Brian Nash (ECV Jeep). He gave me a great price on the ring and pinion as well as the bearing install kit. Hit him up if you have any gearing or drivetrain needs.

With luck, we were able to get the gears set and everything together pretty quickly. I really appreciate everyone's help. Unfortunately, I was wrapped up in the process and forgot to take pics!

We drilled and tapped a new tube hole for the ARB locker. Kurt also set up a better vent tube connection while we were at it.

After I got the thing back home, I was determined to get all the greasy crud off of it. I used hardcore engine degreaser, a scrape, and a wire brush, but I finally got most of the oil off of the axle!:

I removed the XJ steering knuckles and the upper control arm bushings on the axle. The axle bushings were shot! Here is the original next to the new one that I got from Napa:

I am going to do some welding on one of the mounts, so I only put the bushing over the diff back in for now:

For rock crawling, I found that there are some parts of the axle that take a beating if you don't protect them ahead of time.

The lower control arm mounts really need reinforcement to keep them from spreading:

I cut some 3/16' plate to join the two flanges into a box for strength:

The upper control arm mount on the axle tube is fine for the road, but I have seen these warp and collapse through hard offroad use:

I cut off the reinforcement that I used on the last axle and plan to reuse it on this axle. D30 housings also have a tendency to bend over time giving a slight smile effect to the assembly. My old axle is doing this, so I made some reinforcements to support the tube strength:

Tomorrow, I will start welding the armor and reinforcements into place if all goes well.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Lookin good bro. Mr green will be wearing shoes again in no time.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Nice work Mikey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

Even Ozzie pushed a wrench!:

Finally, a picture of Ozzi using tools. Now maybe the naysayers will believe...

Comment

Are you done yet? Now? How bout now?

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
            Are you done yet? Now? How bout now?
            Not yet. But I'm getting closer.

I welded up all of the reinforcements tonight. The tube strengthener and the control arm mount plate came out okay. My welder fought me some:

The lower control arm plates went on a little easier:

I also took a washer and reinforced the track bar hole. Might as well do it now and save time later:

I put the second upper control arm bushing in place and then removed the axle seals from the old axle. I had to use a pipe wrench to twist the seal free of the RTV glue holding it in and then pried the seal lose with screw drivers and pry bars. The tools left the seals looking a little rough:

But a good cleaning and a little paint touch up helped a lot:

Tomorrow, I plan to paint the axle, install the seals, and drill out the steering knuckle so that I can lift the tie rod for a little more clearance.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Looking Good Mike.
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Tonight I got the axle painted:

Then added some extra space for my bumpstops. I tend to stuff tires without the extra space:

I got the lower control arms attached, but when I attached the first upper control arm, the angle seems wrong. Shouldn't the angle of the pumpkin be somewhat close to the angle of the driveshaft? Is the front different from the back due to the steering?:

I didn't want to continue until I get some more information, so I changed direction and added the flip kit sleeve to the steering knuckle:

I'm getting close finally, but I think that the muffler is going to be a problem with the High Pinion. We'll see soon....

[/COLOR]

Comment

When I did the tie rod flip. The tie rod hit the sway bar bracket on the drive's side when turned all the way to passenger. So I would check it. You may need to ajust pinion angle at ride height. I had no problem with exhust hitting.
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Mike,that uca is at wicked down w
                    Angle so i think the jeep is not at ride height.
                    Is the axle on jack stands, and is the jeep at ride height?

Comment

Is your front driveshaft a CV shaft? If not, the pinion angle should be parallel to the output shaft of the transfer case. If it is a CV shaft, the pinion should be pointing at the output shaft (or within a small margin).
                      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

In the front, Caster is more important than driveline angle. The more you raise the pinion the less caster you get.
                        From the picture you are not anywhere near ride height, it works though Curtis runs that axle, Beau does and so do I and countless others.

Comment

Ah! I get it. The axle is definitely no where near ride height. I'll finish the attachment and get the axle into place and see where it lands. I didn't change the upper arm length so it should fall into the same place as the old axle.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            Ah! I get it. The axle is definitely no where near ride height. I'll finish the attachment and get the axle into place and see where it lands. I didn't change the upper arm length so it should fall into the same place as the old axle.
                            Once it's installed and on the ground at ride height you'll see that shaft angle is probably less than it was with the LP. Art is right about caster, but if the pinion angle is too extreme you get wicked vibes.

Comment

Mike if you ever suffer from severe boredom something like this made out of 3/8 thick and 3" wide flat stock might make a nice addition to your truss http://www.undercoverfab.com/156-899...uss-system.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X