Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.56 or 4.88?

Would a 4 cylinder Jeep be worthless offroad? If I had a built Jeep with lockers what gear setup is best.Two part question.

Art (aw12345) has two jeeps with 4 cylinder engines and he does great. He runs 40" tires on one and runs the Hammers.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

4.56 and 4.88 are both good choices for 35" tires. 4.88's help with crawl speed

Comment

Not really qualified on the 4 Banger part but my minivan v6 is only 200HP so I am sure they are not too far apart… With that said I run 4.88s with 35s and have enjoyed them on and off road.
        [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by novabrian72 View Post
          Would a 4 cylinder Jeep be worthless offroad? If I had a built Jeep with lockers what gear setup is best.Two part question.

I've been running a 4 cyl for years..and I do it all except the hammers. I roll with 33's and 4.56.
          Jeep Girl

Comment

I have a 88 wrangler 4 banger wth 48 on 35's with a teara low 4:1 transfer case and it can climb a brick wall .

Comment

4.88 for sure, it's not your daily driver. Besides speed kills, go climb a rock.

Comment

The 4cyl is fine for offroad. Rockcrawling is more about torque than horsepower. They are pretty weak on the hwy though.
                The gear that you choose should be based on what effect you desire. My primary goal is to have solid control in the rocks and at least tolerable street manners. I run 4.88s on 35" tires and I am getting the results that I want.

This chart is a great reference to find the mix of tire and gears that will meet you desired results:
                http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-26.htm
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

I love using this gear calculator, lets you do side by side comparisons, has tons of options for crawl speed highway rpm etc
                  Very informative calculator.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    [COLOR="darkred"]Bookmarked... [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Art addressed it pretty well. It all depends on what size of tires you want to run and if it's a DD.
                      God forgives, rocks don't
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

Run'n 4:56s(DL, frt & re)w33's and a T-5 tranny, 4.2L carb'd 6 cyl.
                        As a DD I just start out in 2nd. 1st is a "granny".
                        If back in the day, IF, I could have got'n 48s for a D30. I would have gone with'em.
                        LG
                        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

I did 4.88s on my 94 when i lifted and they did pretty well with my tsl bias 33x12.50, even though the tsl bias is actually a 33.8. It wasn't too difficult to do because i bought the rear from davez offroad and bought the install kit for the 7.5 add up front. I'm probly going to do it again with my 84 and go with 4.88 again until it becomes a dedicated crawler.
                          so my suggestion is 4.88.
                          Cold Air Intake Kits

Comment

I had a 95 4cyl for years. It was my daily driver. I ran 4 88's with 33's. Go as low as you can, with axle gears, on a 4 popper. This was great off-road. On the hwy, expect to have trouble get'n out of your own way. The powerband was around 2800 to 3500 rpm, and there wasn't much there. If there's a 2% grade, forget 5th gear. Something like Cajon Pass is a 3rd gear chore. Don't know how an automatic is, in those situations. MPG really sucks too. But jeeps don't get great milage anyway. If its gonna be a DD, I say get a 6cyl. If its a toy, or very little street use, a 4 is good. Build the hell out if it.
                            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Working...
                            X