Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ: D35 axle seals

My Son has a 88' XJ w/D35 Rr axle and the seals are leaking.I've never had one of these apart but was told they were easy.Now my problem started when I went to pull the retainer screw from the cross shaft and instead found a hole that looks like a roll pin.I can't find anything about a pin, just a 12 point screw.Anyone got an idea?
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
    My Son has a 88' XJ w/D35 Rr axle and the seals are leaking.I've never had one of these apart but was told they were easy.Now my problem started when I went to pull the retainer screw from the cross shaft and instead found a hole that looks like a roll pin.I can't find anything about a pin, just a 12 point screw.Anyone got an idea?
    You knock the roll pin out then the the crosspin comes out, push the axle shafts in a bit, pull the C clip out, then pull the axle shaft out, piece of cake

Comment

Art,to drive the roll pin out it has to go toward the ring gear,got to be an easier way
      Dennis and Tammy

Comment

Pretty sure you drive it towards the larger hole look at it and that will make sense

Comment

Edit...

I was assuming it was a C-Clip rear.

If its not a C-Clip rear axle, then theres no need to remove that pin..
          *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERTK View Post
            Edit...

I was assuming it was a C-Clip rear.

If its not a C-Clip rear axle, then theres no need to remove that pin..
            I didn't even know they made a nonC-clip 35 till now ,and of course thats what we got.Everything I found was about taking out a C-clip axle.Thanks for the help Art and sorry for the mix up.Now I just have to get the dang bearing race out of the axle tube LOL
            Dennis and Tammy

Comment

You rent or borrow a slide hammer knocks em right out, or pull the rollers out weld a few beads inside the race to shrink it some and they bearing race will come out easily

Comment

One other way I have years past, was to just get a really long bolt, put a nice sized washer on it and put the washer end in the tube past the race, and you have a make shift slide hammer that should have enough for just the race. The race is just slid in by hand and should come out easily.

But your seals will be a PITA to replace. You will need either a special tool, cut off the bearing and retainer, or take em to a machine shop, to get them off. And you likely will need a bearing kit and seal to get it back together right.
                *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                  You rent or borrow a slide hammer knocks em right out, or pull the rollers out weld a few beads inside the race to shrink it some and they bearing race will come out easily
                  It's a 2 pc bearing - race not 1 pc like a 9" Ford.Going to try the slide hammer when I get home. Thanks Art

Originally posted by ROBERTK View Post
                  One other way I have years past, was to just get a really long bolt, put a nice sized washer on it and put the washer end in the tube past the race, and you have a make shift slide hammer that should have enough for just the race. The race is just slid in by hand and should come out easily.

But your seals will be a PITA to replace. You will need either a special tool, cut off the bearing and retainer, or take em to a machine shop, to get them off. And you likely will need a bearing kit and seal to get it back together right.
                  Got a press and bearing spreader to remove them and new bearings with seals are ready to go on.I have most of the things to make a slide hammer,going to give it a shot today and show my Son what you can do with the junk in your garage.Thanks Robert
                  Dennis and Tammy

Comment

Working...
                  X