Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Clunk When I Accelerate

From a dead stop, I feel, and hear a clunk, from the rear, of the jeep, when I accelerate. I just spent 2 hrs, checking the rear suspension. All the control arm mounts are tight. The axle housing is tight with the suspension. I checked the driveshaft. It's only 6 month old, still nice and tight. With the tires off the ground. I disconnected the driveshaft from the pinion. There was no play, at the T-case end. In the diff, there was 3/16" to a 1/4" of play before the ring & pinion engaged and is tight. Is this too much play? Any other idea's as to why it may clunk at acceleration? From the feel of it, I think its suspension or driveline. I believe I ruled out suspension today.

Thanks for any help
    It was like that when I got here.

Are your shocks tight? I've forgotten mine a couple of times. With the acceleration, check the torque link - if you have it. Is it only from a dead stop, or at speed as well?
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

1 Shock is new. I'll check the other. No torque link. Never feel it at speed. If there's an aggressive weight transfer, hard on brakes, then hard on the gas.There's a slight clunk. From a stop is the main problem.

Comment

Could be a loose yoke, but the preload loss would get the pinion howling. Worn spiders will do it too. If you have the Dana 35 it's worth checking.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

Most likely a bad transmission mount. Take a long crow bar and wedge between the cross member and the transmission/transfer case and pry upwards....see if it is busted apart...

Comment

I have the same clunk/loud click when I accelerate, especially from a stop. I though it was a spring not seating, but I ruled that out yesterday. Also narrowed it down to the rear passenger side. I'm heading out to put a wrench on everything now. I will also check that trans mount. Thanks for the info!

HOOYAH!!!
            Dan

Comment

Loose tranny mount. Problem solved.

Comment

wahooo!

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
                  Loose tranny mount. Problem solved.
                  Matches the loose nut behind the wheel...........LOL
                  LG
                  Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                    Matches the loose nut behind the wheel...........LOL
                    LG
                    An oldie but a goody. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Comment

Working...
                    X