Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took the Jeep out today and intentially dropped it into a deep rutted section of trail today to see how the TC worked in all 3 posistions. 2wd,
    4 Hi and 4 low.

2 wd the breaks were computer applied untill there was no forward movement. In 4 Hi the same exact thing, then I put it in 4 Low and the TC disengaged and allowed the wheels to spin freely and I drove right out of the ditch. I sure hope the didn't charge me extra for his option.

I thought I would also test out the "downhill break assist" function. I took a little while to figure out how it was engaged. The way it works is you put the transmission into neutural then push the button on the dash and the computer automatically applies the breaks for you as you descend down the hill - kinda like cruise control for down hill breaking. You must keep your foot off the break all the time, or all 4 wheels lock up. I hope they didn't charge me for this either. I guess this would be for un-experianced off road drivers.

You can get into serious trouble with this if your front wheel drops into a hole and the rear wheels start to come up because the breaks will not release. If you need some forward momentum to get the rear down - too bad - if you touch the breaks all 4 wheel lock up. You could end up going over. I'm not sure if I would ever have a use for this option, though some may find it helpful.

Comment

Weird I wouldnt think the traction control would work like that. Maybe its because of the slow speed who knows. I know I would'nt want it if it worked like that either.

Comment

That is sort of scary stuff IMO. The Downhill Brake Assist seems dangerous from several aspects, but one that you didn't mention is that in neutral, the brakes will take the full weight of the vehicle, no drivetrain braking! A long hill could find yourself starting to accelerate with overheated brakes!

It seems to me that the traction control is of little value. Luckily, it sounds like it can turned off.
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          That is sort of scary stuff IMO. The Downhill Brake Assist seems dangerous from several aspects, but one that you didn't mention is that in neutral, the brakes will take the full weight of the vehicle, no drivetrain braking! A long hill could find yourself starting to accelerate with overheated brakes!

It seems to me that the traction control is of little value. Luckily, it sounds like it can turned off.
          The defalt posistion for the TC is "on" during vehicle use, with an off button on the dash. You have to think fast and turn it off if you hit a muddy, sandy or snowy area.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

The defalt posistion for the TC is "on" during vehicle use, with an off button on the dash. You have to think fast and turn it off if you hit a muddy, sandy or snowy area.

The speed of the downhill breaking system only lets you go 1-3mph so it's kinda s-l-o-w and only works in Lo range. It seemed when I put it in gear, Hi range or 2wd the system shut off.
            Last edited by mkjeepers; 05-30-12, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TOOLPUSHER View Post
              I have a 2008 jk the problem i am haveing is when i turn at med speed the traction controll light comes on an applys the brakes .... not a big deal but it sucks when you are trying to get on the fwy on ramp an getting up to speed with out getting in the way of a trucker... any ideas on how to fix my problem.. thanks Allen
              I have the same issue on an 08 Sahara. but can fix it every time.

Did you just go wheelin? Is the steering wheel outta wack? If your steering wheel is crooked like at 70 degree angle when you turn your wheel the computer thinks you have just turned the wheel over 100 degrees and feels it needs to kick in some assistance. When I did my lift I figured this one out. Every time I go wheelin I have to adjust my Drag Link. Easy to do if this is your issue and you need I think I have a pdf I can email you dont let it go too long or it may mess up the computer.

or if the light is always on hit the traction control button three or four times in a row and it will clear the light. does on mine...

Good Luck,

Danny
              Last edited by JK08; 05-30-12, 12:56 PM.
              [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Danny can you please send me the pdf... an my light does not stay on it just comes on when you are turning ... kinda like when you are driving down from big bear an every shape turn it seems like the right tire is applying the brakes , not a fun drive home ...

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts an cant wait to do some offroading .....

Comment

Hey Mike K. if you want to do more testing in snowy conditions, come down my driveway next time. At least you'll be able to use your winch to get back up.

Steve
                  All slow and no show

Comment

Originally posted by alittleoff View Post
                    Hey Mike K. if you want to do more testing in snowy conditions, come down my driveway next time. At least you'll be able to use your winch to get back up.

Steve
                    I wouldn't go down your driveway on a sled, besides I don't have my winch on yet.lol

Comment

Originally posted by TOOLPUSHER View Post
                      Danny can you please send me the pdf... an my light does not stay on it just comes on when you are turning ... kinda like when you are driving down from big bear an every shape turn it seems like the right tire is applying the brakes , not a fun drive home ...

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts an cant wait to do some offroading .....
                      Here you go this is the instructions for my lift, the below note is on page 10

IMPORTANT NOTE : The draglink must be adjusted to the center steering wheel BEFORE the vehicle is driven.
                      Failure to do so will cause a computer error, odd handling, and poor performance.

Page 10 is where it starts. I usually mark the center of the steering column and center of the steering wheel. I then drive the jeep down my street starting a few doors down get the jeep driving straight then stop in front of my house. The wheel is crooked but tires are straight. I have my son get in the jeep and with the jeep running I start to adjust the drag link and we CB each other back and forth until it is straight tighten it up and drive it again. It usually takes a few stabs to get it 100% straight. I hope this helps.

http://www.roughcountry.com/install/673x.pdf
                      [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X