Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunky noise with-out air

I have a 98 tj with arb's in the rear... at the time my compressor's fuse is blown, but I noticed that when the lockers are ingauged with out the air I get a clunking noise from the rear-end area - is that normal, is it because the gears aren't completly locked with-out the air or is there a bigger issue? When the switch is in the off position for the lockers I don't get the clunking noise?

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
    I have a 98 tj with arb's in the rear... at the time my compressor's fuse is blown, but I noticed that when the lockers are ingauged with out the air I get a clunking noise from the rear-end area - is that normal, is it because the gears aren't completly locked with-out the air or is there a bigger issue? When the switch is in the off position for the lockers I don't get the clunking noise?
    Without air to the locker it will not engage in any shape or form. So if the compressor does not run, it should not engage period

Comment

So im confused as to why it would only clunk when the switch is in the engaged position. It dosen't clunk on every resolution, mostly when I get in a tight turn. Maybe when I get the fused replaced for the compressor it will stop with air to it, or is that wishful thinking :]

Comment

ARB engages with air to it, no air no lock. Unless somehow the arb switch powers the compressor. take the blue air line off at the arb solenoid and see what happens. You disconnect the line by pushing in on it and pushing in on the orange collar then simply pulling the line out at the same time. There is a slight possibility that the solenoid back feeds throught the compressor and this is what causes partial engagement
        Last edited by aw12345; 05-19-12, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I have two switches - one for the compressor and one for the lockers. Is it possible that there was still air in the tank and lines that it was partially engaged? I'll give a try by disconnecting the line.

Comment

Your solenoids are most likely on the arb compressor, an electric gremlin is possible that lets the compressor run slowly or a remainder of air is in the tank. If it doesn't do this with the line disconnected I would look into a electric problem, that somehow back feeds voltage into the compressor

Comment

Ok cool, thanks for all your feedback. I'll post back to let you know the results.

Comment

Ok got the compressor working for the lockers, but I still get a clunking noise when the rear lockers are engaged, but only when their engaged - ideas?

Comment

Where are you engaging your locker? on the street or in the dirt? First jack the rear up engage locker, with engine of trans in gear can you spin a rear tire?

Comment

engaging on dirt, and it does seem to engage all the way it's just that it clunks when it's engaged.

Comment

It shouldn't might be time to pull it apart and see what's going on

Comment

Parts in an ARB can go bad, seals and such. I had to have one rebuilt before.

Just an idea, if you do have to have your ARB rebuilt, This is a great time to go up, from 27 spline axle shafts, to 30 spline chromo's. You can call ARB and buy side gears that will accept 30 spline shafts. I did this with my old YJ. Gave me more confidence in the rear end.
                        This is assuming you have a D35.
                        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                          It shouldn't might be time to pull it apart and see what's going on
                          X2!! Pop the diff cover and look for any bolts or retaining pins that might have backed out and are hitting other stuff. If nothing obvious, pull the carrier and remove the ARB. They are pretty easy to rebuild. The best part is that ARB is an outstandingly supportive company. If you find that parts are worn, call them and ask if they will cover it under warranty. I have rebuilt a compressor and a locker all on warranty parts except for one. The US contact for this is:

ARB 4x4 Accessories

720 SW 34th Street
                          Renton, WA 98057
                          (425) 264 1391
                          Fax: (425) 264 1392
                          Toll Free: (866) 293-9078

They are great folks that are proud of their stuff. They want their customers to be happy from my experience. Bonded seals, o-rings, and return springs are common replacement parts for the ARB.
                          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! The rear-end is a D44, and the front is the D30, so maybe if the cost is right I'll have the front upgraded. I'll post back with the results on the clunking noise when I tear into it.
                            thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                            X