Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Np231 or np242 ?

I am up to speed on the differences between these transfer cases but am wondering if the 242 is problematic or is it as strong, weaker, better than the 231 ?

I ask this because I may buy a xj to make into a dog hauling, kayak carrying, camping beater.

Also, is the auto-trans used in these worth a crap ? A 5 speed seems to be real hard to find.

I'm looking at the '95-96' models

242 limits your front locker options (needs to be open or selectable). and no SYE off the shelf options.

the AW4 auto )auto in the cherokee's) is the best auto Jeep EVER used, and is very hard to hurt. If they were easier to swap into new jeeps, I bet the AW4 would be the biggest swapped trans for a Jeep. This trans is very reliable up to 450HP if keep within a reasonable temp, like any auto needs.
    *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

Do you know if a AX-15 5 speed is the same length and can be swapped in place of the AW4 ?

After flex plate to flywheel swap of course.

I know the output spline size / count and the flange will bolt up to a NP-231.

Comment

yes but the spline count between the TC and Trans should be verified. Both on the trans and the TC.

And why you would go from a auto, expecially the aw4 to a manual, is beyond me...

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERTK View Post
          242 limits your front locker options (needs to be open or selectable).
          Why can't you use a Auto locker in the front?
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

well you can but its more prone to stay locked then the 231 due to driveshaft drag. just I try not to recommend a insert for sure..

Comment

I agree with Robert, the AW4 is an awesome transmission. If you really want a stick, you can always put a manual shift controller on the AW4.
              [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

If the Auto is in good shape, I would trade you my NV3500 setup for your AW4 setup.
                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Shoot! I am swapping a 2000 aw4 auto into my jeep. I figured out a way to make the trans shift with the factory shifter (no extra shift box mod) . It would be semi automatic without tcu so you have to physically shift each gear. Im getting the tcu also if I ever want to hook it up later. Picking up trans saturday going to pull the pan and replace filter and do any valve body mods that need doing and put a temp sender in the pan. I thought I read the torque converter is 2500 stall speed anyone know if this is true? Any one have or know somone who has a clocking ring I can borrow. Need to clock and redrill the holes 10* so the tc sits flat.
                  Last edited by Jeeperator; 04-19-12, 05:28 PM.

Comment

And why you would go from a auto, expecially the aw4 to a manual, is beyond me...
                    No real reason, just thinking out loud.

The XJ I have my eye on has over 200k on it and if the trans craps after I buy it I was just curious about possible options.
                    Haven't looked into the cost of a replacement auto trans or rebuilding cost.

Also, the comments on this thread about how desirable this trans is good to know after reading some other comments about it on the web that weren't so good.

I have had sticks in almost every vehicle I have owned, just habit I guess.

Re: doing a manual shift set up on the AX4, is it a matter of just taking the controller out of the loop then it becomes completely dependent on selector position, or ??

Comment

Yea a guy on pirate sells a shift box that mounts next to the factory shifter and it allow you to pick what gear you want to be in with a little shifter switch.It also has a separate switch that turns off the power to the factory tcu in order to allow manual shift with the shift box. Otherwise the trans tcu will somtimes upshift when you dont want to when crawling. I figured out how to shift it with the factory shifter no extra shiftbox BS needed. The guy im buying my trans from has 270,000 miles on his aw4 in his jeep no issues yet. AW4 type trans are in alot of vehicles like the older toyotas turbo supras among some others I dont remember of hand.

Comment

I found a great link to a complete factory manual for the AW4 trans, I now know how, and what I will build and wire in for a complete manual control with an auto option.

If things go as planned I will have the XJ at The Compound tonight.

I'll post the pdf. for the manual later.

Comment

Yes please post manual or send me pdf when you get it. It could come in handy.

Comment

Working...
                          X