Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt needs help

I have to take out my front drive shaft to do some up grades, well all the 8m bolts came out with no hastle but one near the tcase was bucking me and stripped and i called it quits when the rain came down. So any ideas getting the last little soldier out?

find a 6 point wrench or use a good 8mm or 5/16, 6 point socket with a 1/4 drive flex or T handle

Comment

I assume you mean it stripped the head?
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

yes the 8m just stripped the head round and it was the last one then it started to pour buckets. I tried the 5/16 vis grips wd40 , T handle? not sure what that one is.

Comment

Worst case, grind the head off and pull the shaft. Soak it in PB blaster, Silikroil, or some other stinky oil for a few days. Grab the bit of the bolt that's left with vice-grips - real tight - and try to move it. If it doesn't move - and you're sure you don't have any fuel leaks - try warming up the yoke right around the bolt with a propane torch. Don't go red hot or anything, just hot enough to make it really uncomfortable to touch. This should expand the yoke enough to separate from the bolt. Absolute worst case, I know of a great Jeeping website with awesome people who may have a replacement yoke laying around...
          -sons of thunder

Comment

sounds like i need to grind off the bolt the only tool cordless is the drill and a jigsaw

Comment

HF has a fair 4" angle grinder (110V) for about $10. If you have time, patience and a rediculous pain threshold you can do it with a file too.
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Those little bolts are a bitch to get at on a TJ, don't know about yours, before you go much further boogering the thing up Sears and or tool truck or a good tool place carries some funky sockets that are made to get nuts and bolts out with rounded heads. I would try those first. If all that fails and it's still driveable come see me sometime this week in the late afternoon or early evening. I am sure I can figure something out

Comment

Is this on the transfercase side or at the axle side? Axle side is a piece of cake

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    Is this on the transfercase side or at the axle side? Axle side is a piece of cake
                    its the t case side frustrating because its the daily driver and one tiny bolt hangin me up. The grinding it off would still not release the front shaft

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                      HF has a fair 4" angle grinder (110V) for about $10. If you have time, patience and a rediculous pain threshold you can do it with a file too.
                      angle grinder will just lop off the head but the treads would still be holding it together not sure that would work it might be worse if i do it that way. With the head still on i atleast have something to work with (grip wise)

Comment

I just want to thank you guys again for the advise and trouble shooting this

Comment

Originally posted by InlandZJ View Post
                          The grinding it off would still not release the front shaft
                          Why not?
                          *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

Instead of grinding the head off entirely, why not take a dremel and grind a slot for a flat-head screwdriver? Or try grinding some flat spots on two sides so the vice grips have something more to grab to? I'd recommend a couple methods like that to attempt getting the bolt out in once piece rather than grinding the whole head off and dealing w/ only the threaded portion after the shaft is off.
                            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERTK View Post
                              Why not?
                              Seemed like the problem would still hang up somewere. I just dont want to create more of a problem than it already is for now

Comment

Working...
                              X