Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 grand d 44 pinion nut size

Does any one know what size the nut on a 96 grand cherokee rear d 44 pinion would be?
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

If it fololws any other Dana 44 it would be 1 and 1/8"

Comment

I have tried that, also tried 1 1/4, 32mm, 34mm. 34 seemed sloppy...32 seemed slightly too small, 1 1/4 too small. I even tried a 1 3/8 which was too large. I have to wonder if its not a d44 under there. Of course I havent confirmed its a d44 because I thought thats all they put under the grand cherokee with tow package. Does anyone have any suggestions of what other rear axle jeep might have used in 96? Is it possible that the 33mm was used on a d44 pinion?
      Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

1 and 5/16? is a hair bigger than 1 and a 1/4 it's what is used on Dana 60's which is 25.4mm plus 8mm, makes 33.4 mm
        So sounds to me that it's a 1 and 5/16th size nut

Comment

that is very possible. Now to try and find one here in Barstow where I have limited resouces. Thank you for the info.

Comment

I have a buddy with a 00 Grand. Apparently his rear 44 uses a Viper ring and pinion. Not sure if the 96 is the same or not.
            Build it right the first time.

Comment

Working...
            X