Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Got Stranded on I-15 Saturday

My engine started running extreemly rough and finally died on the I-15 & Field Rd. I had to call CHP for a tow and 59 miles and $594.00 later I made it home.

Here's the story on my Jeep.
    Two friends sugested I check the TPS - a sensor on the fuel injector
    So I called the mechanic that Mitch always used on this Jeep. He said that with this version of GMC Throttle body fuel injection, it's almost never a probelm.

This morning I finally was able to work on it. I knew the rotor & cap didn't look good, but before I went to the Autoparts store, I pulled a sparkplug. It was aweful! So I bought plugs, a cap & rotor.
    I replaced the cap & rotor, started the engine, it did start but ran really crappy.
    Next I replaced the spark plugs, started right up, ran way better than before but was idling very rough. While changing the plugs, I finally saw the elusive vacuum leak I thought I must have.
    Kinda hard to describe, but on the rear of the valve cover is a ell fitting. It has what looks like a plug wire cover on a distributer. It was almost in two pieces where it reduces from a 1/2" ID to a 1/4" od tubing. The autoparts store didn't have anything like it. while at the store I figured out how to fab one using a 2" piece of 1/2" ID rubber hose and slip a 1" piece of 1/2" x 1/4" hose in it with a little rubber cement to help seal it. Put it on, works like a champ!
    Jeep is now running better than it has in a long time. I'm hoping the plugs fouled because there was a vacuum leak and maybe allowing the enging to suck a little oil in.
    In my morning prayers, I told the LORD that I don't ask for stuff like this, but If He would give me wisdom in how to solve this problem. He listened and gave me a helping hand!

I've been worried sick about the engine since Saturday thinking the worst like I need a new engine. I'm so thankful that it turned out to be realitively minor problem.
    Last edited by Roger; 02-22-12, 06:44 PM.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Roger, sounds like good trouble-shooting to me.
    Rich

Comment

Glad it all worked out roger. Might want to sign up for the extended towing.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Did that elbow attach to a black plastic line that goes to a black little box with a green wire plug with 3 wires?

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
          Glad it all worked out roger. Might want to sign up for the extended towing.
          You bet Curtis! I'll be contacting Triple A before the end of the week!

From Art: Did that elbow attach to a black plastic line that goes to a black little box with a green wire plug with 3 wires?
          I'll check tomorrow and let you know. It's dark and cold out now!
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
            Roger, sounds like good trouble-shooting to me.
            Thanks Ol Man, I'm not a mechnic by any strech of the imagination!! But as a Jeep owner I'm trying to learn!
            MJR moderator
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              I'll be contacting Triple A before the end of the week
              Bummer about what happened to your jeep Roger but at least it is now fixed. Yes, get AAA premier ...good for 200 miles and well worth the 108 bucks a year not to mention all the great DMV services. I have had mine for about nine years and well worth it and have used it many times and every jeeper should have it. You could be in Vegas and get a free ride home....See you in Calico.
              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Glad to hear you got it Roger. That wierdo fitting is 7/16" on the breather end and 1/8" out the other. Moss Brothers in San Bernardino has it for about $14. Depending on what smog nazis you use, some will demand that it's the OEM piece and will fail you for fixing it - even though your fix is better.
                God forgives, rocks don't
                -sons of thunder

Comment

Nice work Roger...get AAA towing, Chuck swears by it and so do I

Comment

Originally posted by Hook&Ladder View Post
                    + 1 $594 would of payed for atleast 4 years of AAA+ and 2 or 3 100mile tows a year. Not to mention all the other stuff. Sounds like the line to the map was leaking. That can cause what you describe but didnt think it would cause it to not run at all.

Comment

Sorry Roger, I forgot. It's 9/16" to 1/8". I got my Alzheimer's starter kit last weekend. I'd show it to you, but I forgot where I put it.
                      God forgives, rocks don't
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

Roger...get AAA towing, Chuck swears by it and so do I
                        Me too. That night my engine digested a valve going up Cajon Pass was made much, much cheaper with my AAA Plus membership...and 7 year, 70,000 mile Powertrain warranty :-)
                        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Yeah, I've been there when Chuck calls them. He swears a lot!
                          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                          X