Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D44 axle shaft options

Well... I replaced one of my rear axle seals right before Moab and the sucker started leaking again on the way there. I guess it could be one of two things: the shaft is too worn where the seal rides, or the housing is bent. I already checked the breather, it is open. I'm leaning toward the worn shaft theory since I doubt I have beaten this thing enough to bend the housing... I am not 100% sure the housing is not bent, but the seal was slowly but surely getting worse over the last several months, so I doubt that the housing being bent would have crept up on it like that. I think maybe the shaft is just too grooved to keep a seal (210k miles will do that). So now I'm torn between a set of good used shafts, stock replacement shafts, high $ alloy upgrade shafts, or a full floater kit...

I guess we have never really had a "pros and cons of full floater kits" discussion, so I'm opening it up for debate...

I like the full floaters bullet-proofness, but I question whether it is worth almost triple the cost of high strength alloy shafts. It also makes limping home in three wheel drive possible if combined with an air locker and lockout hubs. The other aspect is that the straight, plain full floater shafts are cheaper I think than regular alloy units if you break one. That's about all I can come up with in terms of pros... cons: price and lack of trail spares. Any other negative thoughts on full floaters?
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

it seems the rear axle damage is a common occurance these days. i have a bent 8.8 flange as well... i have been looking into the superior evo series axle shafts as a replacement. i am 99% sure that is what i will get. [i like the little sticker] they have been rated as the best, and strongest replacement axles outt here. the price isnt too bad either, surprisingly enough...
    so.. 1 vote for superior axles. cost? about $300 bucks or less.
    for my 8.8 they are $121.69 ea.
    Last edited by NAILER341; 06-02-04, 09:40 PM.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

The shaft could also be bent.
      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
        it seems the rear axle damage is a common occurance these days. i have a bent 8.8 flange as well... i have been looking into the superior evo series axle shafts as a replacement. i am 99% sure that is what i will get. [i like the little sticker] they have been rated as the best, and strongest replacement axles outt here. the price isnt too bad either, surprisingly enough...
        so.. 1 vote for superior axles. cost? about $300 bucks or less.
        for my 8.8 they are $121.69 ea.
        whats the TJ D44 price?

Rick- Stock D44 shafts are pretty strong. With that said, I'll probably get some alloys and use my stock shafts as spares. Do it right the first time, so you dont have to spend the money twice!
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

i'll see what i can find out.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Yeah, I guess I was looking at the "do it right the first time" as the full floater kit ... I think the alloy shafts are the way to go for the price, if for only the fact that you get a set of stock spares by default. I just think having lockouts all the way around would be sweet... lol

I second the Superior shafts, they roll the splines which is much stronger than cutting the splines.

:shades:
            1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
            My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
            X