Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit loose bolts

After installing my R&P today, I notice the bolts on my carrier( Detroit) were loose. So I tried tightening one an snaped it. This is in a HP30 with a truss. Anybody dealt with this and know a sure fix?
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Means you have been flexing the housing a bit ya wild man, small drill and an easy out, if the other bolts have loctite on them then heat the broken one a bit so it comes out easier. Loctite lets go when you heat the bolt a bit. Detroits and the old style ARB's are prone to this under hard wheelin

Comment

I would think that front ruffstuff cover I have with the 1/2" bolt flange and counter sunk bolts should help prevent housing flex. IIRC the hp d30 housing is quite a bit thicker than a lp d30.

Comment

Beau I have a ARB cover on it now. I think I'm going to add .005 more to the preload and use 272 loctite on the bolts after geting some new bolts. Maybe wire the bolts together. I think the housing is still flexing with the truss on it. When I order the bolts today they told me don't put it in 4wd and watch out for the big curbs in the malls.LOL
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Ya know what to do skip all the fuzz and go big lol, that way y7ou can beat on it, take it it home park it and drag it back out the next week. Saves a lot of fudging around

Comment

Working...
          X