Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Loss

Hello,

I have a 99 grand cherokee that has developed a problem that my dealer can't find because the computer indicates that things are fine. For some reason, the machine has no power in third or overdrive. It downshifts just to get the slightest more speed. I push the gas pedal and the tach either doesn't move or it increases and then drops and the motor feels like it's really struggling. It's a six cylinder and the only work done recently was a new serpantine belt and a new battery. Does anyone have any ideas. They would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Check your catalytic converter. Could be plugged?
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
      Check your catalytic converter. Could be plugged?
      We had the same problem on a 98 Dodge Ram. The cat got plugged and it totally lost power.
      -Chris
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Yes, it's often a troubling problem because everything is fine until you need some high end power, and then that exhaust restriction rears it's ugly head...
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I am having the same problem... I also have a 99 Cherokee XJ. When I am cruising down the road and hit the gas, it feels like the motor is going to stall.. only I am going 50!. I have looked around and seen plenty of posts that indicate that if the catalytic converter is out before 8/80,000 miles, the dealer has to replace it.

The big question is how do you convince the dealer to check it if they don't pick up anything in their tests?

Comment

Check the air filters as well. Just think of your engine as a big air pump, the easier air comes in and goes out, the more efficient it is.
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
            X