Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 Spline Unit Bearings

I plan on up grading my rubicon 44 front axles. I'm gonna go ahead and change the outers to 30 spline, while I'm at it.

Are there any other options then the Alloy USA unit bearings? If so what are the best choice?

Also, are the Alloy USA axle seals worth it, and a good idea?

Please share your experience.

Thanks
    It was like that when I got here.

My question is has anyone ever seen a broken stub shaft that the ujoint hasn't failed first. Its my understanding that 9 times out of 10 the ujoint is the weakest link and its failure causes other items to break. Thats just what I notice reading alot of threads on the subject but I could be wrong though. BTW I dont recomend Alloy brand axles broke brand new one first time out on Motino wash. Superior FTW.
    Last edited by Jeeperator; 07-10-11, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
      My question is has anyone ever seen a broken stub shaft that the ujoint hasn't failed first. Its my understanding that 9 times out of 10 the ujoint is the weakest link and its failure causes other items to break. Thats just what I notice reading alot of threads on the subject but I could be wrong though. BTW I dont recomend Alloy brand axles broke brand new one first time out on Motino wash. Superior FTW.
      I have broken 2 Warn stubs with my 30 spline inners (dana 30) with CTM's. I was not nice to them when they let go, but there was no U joint failure that prompted it.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
        I have broken 2 Warn stubs with my 30 spline inners (dana 30) with CTM's. I was not nice to them when they let go, but there was no U joint failure that prompted it.
        So where did the stubs break at? And they were 27 spline stubs right?
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
          I surely hope the ctm's wouldn't break first. You think the same would of happen with spicer joints? Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
            So where did the stubs break at? And they were 27 spline stubs right?
            They broke at the knuckle.

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
            I surely hope the ctm's wouldn't break first. You think the same would of happen with spicer joints? Just wondering.
            I have no way of knowing this, but I'd venture to guess the spicer joint would have broken first.
            Bear in mind those were 27 spline warn outers on drive flanges. Typically the Warn hub would have let go, but I was pushing those beyond their limits with drive flanges.
            ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
              I plan on up grading my rubicon 44 front axles. I'm gonna go ahead and change the outers to 30 spline, while I'm at it.

Are there any other options then the Alloy USA unit bearings? If so what are the best choice?

Also, are the Alloy USA axle seals worth it, and a good idea?

Please share your experience.

Thanks

Just so you remember what the original question of the tread is.:gun:

Comment

I would only run Superior Evolution axles. If a unit bearing goes bad its hard to find a 30 spline and they cost about 250. I run the seals only because they look kool. LOL. Alloy has had some issues with quality.
                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

I've been reading some not so good things about Alloy. I've been do'n some more research. I'm leaning towards RCV's. They're a bit more then Superior Evo's. But how can you beat a "you brake it, we'll replace it" policy. BTW they only come in 27 spline for a rubi 44.

Comment

Check with Kurt (RatPatrol) before buying the RCV's. If I recall, he had some issues with them. They did replace them, but what good is having them replaced if they continually give you issues.
                    He may like them now... I don't know. He did at one point have some issues with them though.
                    ERIK

Comment

I've been running the superior Evo's for about 3 years or since they came out and never had a problem. RCV's have had some problems but they may have fixed them. But I go with the no problem axles.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                        I've been running the superior Evo's for about 3 years or since they came out and never had a problem. RCV's have had some problems but they may have fixed them. But I go with the no problem axles.
                        Same here my poor little Yellow Jeep has been to hell and back, but with superior axles all around I have never had a problem to date.
                        Trust me Curtis nor me are very gentle with our Jeeps

Comment

Working...
                        X