Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise from drivetrain

my 93' YJ has a clank almost a binding noise coming from the drivetrain, but it only happens in 4LOW and only while climbing. any ideas why or what it is?

Transfercase chain slap probably, happens when you let of the throttle and then get back on it normally. I pretty sure its normal but if its extremly bad you might need a new chain. BTW mine does it too and its a fairly low milege rubi tc.

Comment

#1 - check your transfer case fluid level. Also, if you still run the slip yoke, they like to leak from the tailshaft seal and wear out the bushing. These parts run about $8 to replace. The slip yoke also likes to leak out from the tailshaft cap. Pull the yoke off of the driveshaft, pop out the cap in the yoke and clean it with a good solvent and then seal it with an ATF resistant RTV before driving the cap back on. Also, check your u-joints in the front driveshaft and the knuckles. They can bang when worn.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

thanks for the help guys, i dont have my jeep right now it is in the middle of a 4.7 build, but when it gets back i will definitely take a look.
        thanks again

Comment

any update?

Comment

Working...
          X