Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions???

I'm looking at options in traction devices. This is a daily driver YJ. The wheelbase has only been stretched 1/2". I'm running 32 - 10 1/2" tires (265/75-16). The suspension is plenty gooey for being leaves. I'm looking to keep it streetable yet capable of John Bull. With that said, what is your opinion of running a Trutrac in the rear?
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

do it once, do it right, get an ARB and never look back

Comment

You've taken creative frugality almost to an art form of sorts. I'm surprised you're not looking to fit a lovingly used JK Rubicon electric locker in that Scout D44. A good lunchbox locker like the Aussie would be the least expensive, easiest to install, and plenty streetable. I don't think you'll notice a lot of difference between an Aussie and a Truetrac on dry pavement--both will push you in a straight line if you gun it. The only time my rear locker has affected the Jeep handling unexpectedly was between the time I installed and the time I replaced my control arm bushings, and found shot rear track bar bushings and ovalized bolt holes (front and rear).

As far as mushy springs go, I've had my coil sprung Jeep over 60mph with no rear shocks (not by plan), and the locker never gave me any problem. I did get a funky bounce from some kind of driveline resonance at that speed. With the right music it coulda been memorable.
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Hey- 6spdYJ, If you have a Scout d44 in your YJ and you want to keep it streetable I would go with an ARB.
        On the street you will definitely not like the way the YJ handles with any kind of lunch auto locker.
        Having a Trutrac off road is just like having an open.
        The down side of an ARB is $$$$ you will spend over a grand for just the locker and compressor.
        A Rubi JK e-locker will not fit any D44 it will only fit the JK D44.
        What I would do is find an 03 to 06 TJ Rubi air locker (Find the front air locker, much stronger). I have seen them go from $50 to around $350 on ebay. A Rubi compressor will cost you about $120 new but again a used one will go for around $50 on ebay. I think you should be able to get the Rubi air locker installed in your YJ D44 for around $500.
        For your 32” tires I would gear with 4:10 gears. You can definitely also find those gear on ebay (TJ Rubi gears) for around $60 maybe less. You should also be able to find the parts on other Jeep forums.
        Then again you can find the complete rear Rubi axle from disk to disk for less then $900 and then you will also have disks in the rear, the Rubi rear D44 has a limited-slip too when not locked (3 birds with one stone). I guess it all depends what axe you have in the front.
        I myself like working on my Jeep so I would install the Rubi air locker in my D44.
        Once you have everything you need you should be able to knock it out on a long weekend.

Here is a link on a Rubi air locker in a standard D44.
        http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/r...goneer-762468/
        04 Rubi
        00 XJ

Comment

The whole point of mentioning the suspension is that I know how the Trutrac needs contact with both tires to be effective. I have a plan for the front, but that's down the (off) road. I'm considering my build and driving style and pretty much asking for a go or no opinion regarding strength and function and what you base it on. If I'm ever in a position where I only have contact with the ground on one tire and the other three in the air, I've had a pretty serious error in judgement.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by Roundeyes View Post
            If you have a Scout d44 in your YJ and you want to keep it streetable I would go with an ARB. On the street you will definitely not like the way the YJ handles with any kind of lunch auto locker.
            Funny, I can hardly tell mine is there unless I gun it--must be because I have a Jeep Dana 44 instead of a Scout Dana 44.

Having a Trutrac off road is just like having an open.
            Relative to how much you suck at driving, having lockers can be "just like" having open diffs off-road.

A Rubi JK e-locker will not fit any D44 it will only fit the JK D44.
            You missed the humor completely.

For your 32” tires I would gear with 4:10 gears.
            Actually, I think either 4.09s or 4.11s would be better. Then again, I heard somewhere that 4.12s are stronger.

What I would do is find an 03 to 06 TJ Rubi air locker
            Those really don't have the best rep, btw, but I have no first-hand experience with them whatsoever (my turn).

the Rubi rear D44 has a limited-slip too when not locked.
            Enabling it to perform just like an open differential off-road.

He did ask for opinions...
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
              If I'm ever in a position where I only have contact with the ground on one tire and the other three in the air, I've had a pretty serious error in judgement.
              Don't you believe it--as long as that one tire stays on the ground, you're okay!
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Yup one tire grabbing something is all you need, and getting that much air looks just plain cool.
                If you are going to spend money on something get either a lunch box locker or a real locker, not a trutrac

Comment

Trutracs work ok (used to have one in the front) If one tire get air you can work the brakes to get the side with more traction to work better.They are suppose to be superior in icy conditions where a true locker will just get you in trouble. A trutrac locker would be probably be ideal for the new JK's with traction control. The JK's braking system automatically applies braking action to the tire slipping the most so it be a win win for those jeeps. I have a detroit in the rear and a spartan lunch box locker up front. The rear is a little quirky when turn sharp on the street but i dont even notice the front lunchbox unless its in 4x4 mode. Went this route because its not an everyday driver and wanted more reliabilty. Less parts = less problems. Both are definatly locked when in 4x mode and have no slipping like I had with the trutrac in front and auburn ected in the back. Infact broke an alloy axle first time out with the detroit but that could of been the cheap axle lol.

Comment

so what did you end up doing?

Comment

Working...
                    X