• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 100dollarman View Post
    Lockers are for Wuzzies! LOL
    I'm a WUZZIE!
    Rich

Comment

Yea my first jeeps back in the 60's had linclon lockers. Lockers make it so much easier on you and your jeep. So I'm a WUZZIE also.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Update on the lockers. I am Keeping the Auburn for the rear as a limited slip. We tested the lockers on pavement and it doesn;t truly lock just as the reviews have stated. I have decided to install the Eaton E Locker for the front. The front diff will be open until lcoked bu the push of a button and the rear will remain limited slip. Excellent choice!

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

I really do not recomend you locking that auburn on pavement unless you plan on going straight. Really all it does is lock the clutch packs up tighter than it would if it wasn't locked. I assume as with most limited slips more power you put to it the more it locks the clutch packs by side loading the spider gear. IMHO you shouldnt spend alot of money on the dana 30. Get a lunch box locker like an aussie or a spartan for ~$$350 installed. Love my spartan up front and dont know its there till I shift in 4x4.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
            I really do not recomend you locking that auburn on pavement unless you plan on going straight. Really all it does is lock the clutch packs up tighter than it would if it wasn't locked. I assume as with most limited slips more power you put to it the more it locks the clutch packs by side loading the spider gear. IMHO you shouldnt spend alot of money on the dana 30. Get a lunch box locker like an aussie or a spartan for ~$$350 installed. Love my spartan up front and dont know its there till I shift in 4x4.
            I agree witht he Auburn locking on pavement but I really wanted to try and see if there were a difference in the feel, will not do it again. As for the Dana 30, I don't want a lunchbox up there, it's gotta be a selectable. I'll leave it open most of the time but there are those times when you just have to lock the front. I'm not a big fan of locked diffs all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
              I agree witht he Auburn locking on pavement but I really wanted to try and see if there were a difference in the feel, will not do it again. As for the Dana 30, I don't want a lunchbox up there, it's gotta be a selectable. I'll leave it open most of the time but there are those times when you just have to lock the front. I'm not a big fan of locked diffs all the time.
              Think about it. Spending $800 -$900 + installation on a dana 30 eaton locker is just a waste of money. You can get a used dana 44 with a locker for almost that price.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                Think about it. Spending $800 -$900 + installation on a dana 30 eaton locker is just a waste of money. You can get a used dana 44 with a locker for almost that price.
                Yes you definitely have a point. I should look into that.

Comment

Except for the gearing choices, there is nothing wrong with a Dana 30 HP housing and a selectable locker.
                  The Rubicon Dana 44's basically have a locker and you can go numerically higher than 4.88 in gears. But since they go for around 2000 bucks and still need to have a matching gear set installed, I don't really see the savings, also barberpoling front drive shafts sucks.
                  Are you confused yet Shant?

Comment

I agree, but I dont believe shant has a hp d30, he has the stock weaker low pinion dana 30. So add it up ~$100 for a used hp30 case at pnp . $275 for gears another $150 for install kit another $900 for selectable locker $250(low estimate) for install. $1675 is the total for a polished turd-y that will only handle 35" tires. I know I have seen d44's go for ~$1500. Arts right finding one with the right gears is another story. BTW I have seen dana 30 ring and pinion as low as 5.13 but I wouldn't recomend it as the pinion gear is way to small. Point being if you gonna spend that kind of money on a selectable locker you might as well step up to a bigger d44 for the same or a little more $.

Comment

I appreciate your advice. But no where in the near future do I plan on stepping up to 35" tires. In fact, I don't think I will ever step up to 35" tires. I I am completely happy with my 33x13.5x15 Open Country Mud Terrains. At 33.1 over-all diameter, it weighs much less than a 35" tire at 34.8" over-all diameter and costs much les. 33 x 13.5's are the best tires in my true opinion.

Comment

LOL Yea we all said the same thing Shant. Just for your future reference 33-13.50 x15 toyos mt cost ~$50 more per tire than a 35-12.50x15 bfg km2 mud terrains on onlinetires.com. Pretty sure they have the best price on either tire. Not sure which one is heavier but 1 inch wider might equal or come close to ~1.7 inches added height of the tire. Which tire is better who knows but I do know BFG's have proven themselves. I love my 35" bfg km2's I will never step up to a 37" tire (oh shit! did i just say that)lol. BTW not going to make to your run this Sunday, but have fun maybe I will make the next one.

Comment

No problem bud. We'll see you on the next run.

Comment

Never say never. I thought like you and said I would never go to 35's. Well come tomorrow, I will be on 35's. Ohs noes. Let the carnage begin.

Comment

My time for 35's is loooong into the future . What ever happened to 31's?!

Comment

Just happened to see this: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/2364168978.html
                                I won't even approach telling you what to do with your build... I appreciate the inspiration you provide, you prove that a guy with a moderate build can take on the tougher trails.
                                God forgives, rocks don't
                                -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                                X