Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans swap

has any one done any swaps from an ax15 to an NV 3550
    i have one that i have been working on, i know the input shaft is 23 splines versus 21 i have already replaced out put shaft on my transfer case from 21 to 23 spline
    how ever the tranny bell howsing will not fit ??? and i would hate to back out at this point. any and all help would be apreciated.

contact inverted (dave) he did this swap not too long ago. his thread may still be up in the fab forum.

Comment

Whats wrong with the ax15?

Comment

David went 3550 to 4500. AX-15 to 3550 is a straight swap in the TJ. If it was a YJ, you would have to have a '94 and later bellhousing/throwout setup. Art had said in a post a while back that the AX-15 is a better tranny. I'm not sure. My experience with it is that the sychro keys break if driven cross-country by someone who can't figure out how to use a clutch. Also, if used in 5th gear with tires over 31" and not geared lower to compensate accordingly, the 5th gear bearings wear out and it virates so bad you lose power. The bad part to this is that these bearings ride directly on the shaft with no race. If they go, you have to have the shaft repaired or replaced. Be sure your gears match the tire height and you're good. The advantage of the 3550 is a 4.06 1st gear over a 3.83. I went with the NSG-370 for a 4.46 1st.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

nothing wrong
          I just came across a greate deal on the nv 3550 so i bought it but nothing is wrong if i cant compleate the swapt it will go back on!!!
          its the green jeep thats on my other post it is a 1997 tj 4cylinder manual tranny with an ax15 on it however the bell housing will not fit ??? pluss i notice the splines on the clutch side are diffrent like alot more re enforced. the clutch pline on the ax15 are smaler and thiner than the nv 3550???
          Last edited by rurys; 04-26-11, 11:21 AM.

Comment

The '97 4 cyl most likely had the AX-5. I'm not sure on that though. The AX-15 and NV3550 share the same bellhousing pattern. Seeing as you have the external slave, the throwout setup is fine. The only difference you will find is that because the NV3550 was behind a 6cyl, it will have the (23?) spline output to the transfer case where the 4cyl has the smaller (21?) Somebody please verify the numbers. All is not lost though, you should be able to find a 231 from a 6cyl rig fairly cheap. If not, look up Mr.Blaine on this site, he'll most likely have what you need.
            -sons of thunder

Comment

As I said before you are swapping an NV 3500 to replace an ax5 and not an ax15
              follow link and look at the picture NV3500 and AX15 use identical bellhousings

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-43.htm

Comment

It will work but you have to change the engine to a 6 cyl first. lol

Comment

It can be done and has been done

Comment

ive been encountering the same answer.
                    it seams like what i really have will be the ax 5 and not the ax15 like initially thought.
                    as far as the numbers on the out put shaft you are correct it gos from 21 spline to 23 spline i allready have one in place the problem was that i thought i had an ax15 however evrythying is pointing out to me having an ax5 and not the ax 15 know it seams i will be needing a bell housing from an ax15 and the clutch set up also and i should be good to roll.
                    Thank you all for all your responses and i will keep you all up dated ....by the way i will be looking for a dana 30 4.88 ring and pinion just incase some one out there may have one on hand

Comment

Ok guys i have my old ax 5 that was on my 97 tj
                      I also have an NV3550 that i am trying to replace it with, i have the fly wheel buching and the camaro clutch disk.
                      The one issue ive been having is trying to mate the nv 3550 to a compatible bellhousing.
                      The bell housing on the nv3550 will not fit on the 2.5 motor and the AX5 bell housing will not fit on the nv 3550 apperently i need a bell housing from a 96 Dakota to 2000 if any one has this part can you please email me i did find a 1995 Dakota however apperently that would not work i need the 96 Dakota Bell housing to 2000
                      Last edited by rurys; 06-23-11, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Does your 4 banger have a crankshaft position sensor if so that might be an issue also.

Comment

i think it does how ever i do belive they can just be moved around if i am not mistaken

Comment

If you move the CPS position, make sure the flywheel ring is set to pick up at the same point. If it's set at 11 o'clock and the flywheel is designed for 3 o'clock you'll never run. Don't beat yourself up. Lots of guys have over thought this. Being a '97, you should be able to cut a new hole for the CPS in the stock location and use your stock flywheel. That's how I got my '05 6 speed to fire right up in my '92 YJ. The pickup locations are completely different. Make the bellhousing match the stock and run what you've already got.
                            -sons of thunder

Comment

Hey rury I seen a bellhousing on IE craigslist the other day not sure if its the one you need though.

Comment

Working...
                              X