Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump weep hole... Help!

So I am changing the water pump on the Hemi and the new one came with a plastic plug in the weep hole, whereas the old one doesn't have one. The lame instructions that came with it say absolutely nothing about anything and my first inclination would be to remove it so that it doesn't melt. On the other hand, maybe it is supposed to stay and "blow off" to indicate failure. :dunno:

I have asked a couple mechanics and the local Dodge dealer and everyone has the deer in the headlight look. What do you all think, leave it or remove it?

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-23-11, 07:37 AM.
    [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

I had a water pump come with a plug in the same hole (not for a Hemi),I figured they put it there to keep crap out for shipping and took it out.When the pump seals fail it leaks or drips from there but I've never seen any pressure there,if it is pushed in I would just remove it,if it's tapped in maybe it's it's got a reason for it.
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Thank you, it's out and in the trash. One last question... The OEM thermostat is 203F but I'd like to run a stainless one and the only ones I can find for that engine are 180F.

Would you go with the stainless and make it run a little cooler or OEM 203F one?
      [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

From what little I know about the computer controled setups today is that you have to be careful about changing anything that it uses to make them run good and block temp is one of them.You could prob. get away with it if you have a progamable chip or controler,I've never used these so you have to get info from a better mechanic then me.
        Dennis and Tammy
        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
          From what little I know about the computer controled setups today is that you have to be careful about changing anything that it uses to make them run good and block temp is one of them.You could prob. get away with it if you have a progamable chip or controler,I've never used these so you have to get info from a better mechanic then me.
          Probably good advice, if the computer is set to accept the lower temperature it will allow the fuel system to keep the proper supply. If it sees the block as too cool, it may actually cut back on the fuel, trying to keep the programmed fuel curve. This may cause enough of a power loss that it could use more fuel to get the same power. Those of us who understand reality are again at the mercy of programmers...
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Thanks guys, I was hoping to find a stainless steel thermostat with a close enough temp that I could run it, but no such luck. So, I bought a Napa OEM 203F replacement instead of ordering the 180F one.

Comment

Working...
            X