Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Case Options

Ok the past couple of days i have been noticing a leak coming from the back of my motor and have a strong feeling its coming from the rear main seal. The motor only has like 6,000 miles on it since I had it rebuilt but I guess it could still have the possibility of leaking. I figure that since I would have to pull the trans and transfer case that i should do some upgrades while its all out. So...what does everyone think about the TeraFlex 231 HD transfer case add on. Is it really worth the money. It seems like a good deal. I really want to get this Jeep ready for rock crawling so I want to get that low crawl ratio. I've heard great things about the Atlas Transfer cases but Im not sure i want to spend that much. Are there any other options that I should consider?

Update: So I just degreased the engine and trans to see were the oil leak was coming from. I figured out that the leak is coming from the back of the valve cover so I will have to get a new gasket and see where that leads me. I am still interested in upgrading the transfer case. I was hoping that I would have an excuse to upgrade more stuff but I can't resist doing it anyways HAHA. Let me know what everyone thinks about my transfer case options. Thanks again
    Last edited by carmaniac57; 02-23-11, 11:45 AM.

If your motor doesn't have a 2-piece rear main seal(and I think it should) you can use the 2-piece anyway. So yo will not have to pull the trans and transfer case. All you need to take off is the oil pan and the last bearing cap.
    If you are upgrading I would choose a NP241J over your stock case with a tera-low kit. The internals are stronger and you will not need a slip yoke eliminator. The NP241J's come in the Rubicons and you should be able to find one for $700-$900. They will take a little fabrication to get in though. I would take an Atlas over the NP241J though. They seam like a lot of money but I think the numbers work out when you consider you can buy one and just bolt it on.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
      If your motor doesn't have a 2-piece rear main seal(and I think it should) you can use the 2-piece anyway. So yo will not have to pull the trans and transfer case. All you need to take off is the oil pan and the last bearing cap.
      If you are upgrading I would choose a NP241J over your stock case with a tera-low kit. The internals are stronger and you will not need a slip yoke eliminator. The NP241J's come in the Rubicons and you should be able to find one for $700-$900. They will take a little fabrication to get in though. I would take an Atlas over the NP241J though. They seam like a lot of money but I think the numbers work out when you consider you can buy one and just bolt it on.
      X2
      This and the new axle upgrade. Your jeep is really gonna rock soon.
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

i think that the rubi 241 is a little more than 7-9 ive never seen one that low. ive seen a few xj guys swap them but never noticed any real fab work being involved. where can u buy an atlas from i want to look into this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
          X2
          This and the new axle upgrade. Your jeep is really gonna rock soon.
          I can't wait to feel the difference. I hope its worth the money. I'm sure it will be but there is always that thought in the back of your head that scares you HAHA.

I was looking at the atlas transfer cases today and I was wondering if my jeep would be fine with the two speed version? It seems like you choose the gear ranges to be put in the transfer case. What would be good ranges?

Comment

It's a preference for the gear ratios. I would say the 4:1 or the 5:1. Any more than that I think it would get annoying for being too low. If you get really low gears you will like it in the rocks but you will get tired of shifting into 4Hi to get to the next obstical.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by carmaniac57 View Post
              I can't wait to feel the difference. I hope its worth the money. I'm sure it will be but there is always that thought in the back of your head that scares you HAHA.
              Its worth the money! I went from a yj with the stock low range, 2.73:1, if I'm correct. To a rubicon with 4:1. The difference is HUGE. The best way I can discribe it is control. In the yj I did alot more bouncing up the rocks, then crawling. You can hold your line better and things are just easier. Its the next level of crawling.

That little voice is either your pocket book or you wife complaining about you spending too much on your jeep. I've learned to tune it out.:devil:
              It was like that when I got here.

Comment

saw a rubicon 241or in rancho cucamonga on CL for $750
                God forgives, rocks don't
                -sons of thunder

Comment

I absolutely dig my 5:1 Atlas. I've got a 98:1 crawl ratio. As another said, the control is mucho good. Top speed in 5th OD is 13~14 mph. And its so smooth to shift from low to high range.

Steve
                  All slow and no show

Comment

Originally posted by carmaniac57 View Post
                    So...what does everyone think about the TeraFlex 231 HD transfer case add on. Is it really worth the money.
                    I bought the TeraLow about two years ago. Mine died a year and 9 months after I installed it. The TeraFlex folks were fairly cooperative with replacing it under their two year warranty. The new one is quieter but it is still noisy compared to the stock TC. You HAVE to keep the RPMs under 2500 when using 4Low. If not, the unit will effectively implode. They warn you of this in the installation guide. Most of the time this is fine, but it doesn't work for high rev needs like plowing through 2-foot deep virgin snow. :wink:

The difference between stock and 4:1 is amazing. The change is worth the money. If you have the money, I would recommend going for the Atlas. I have heard no complaints from the folks that I know that installed their product.

I don't have the money for the Atlas. I like my TeraLow, but I don't trust it anymore. If I knew then what I know now, I think that I would have gone shopping for the NP241 model instead. It does require modifications though. You can find them for less than the Teralow, but after the conversion, you will likely spend more for the fully installed NP241.

Just my :2:
                    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

I installed a Teralow about a year ago and its OK so far. I chose it to keep from modifying all my driveshafts & stuff. My crawl ratio is now close to 100:1. If you don't already have a slip yoke eliminator, then other options become more attractive.

You defininately don't want to over-rev the planetaries in low range. The Teralow works within the confines of the stock space by using small gears.

Comment

Working...
                      X