Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
    If you actually stress the 8.8 so hard that you have a c-clip fall out, you have bigger problems.
    I believe he was referring to braking the axle, then limping off the trail. Not having a C-clip fall out.

If your jeep is a daily driver, I wouldn't go with the spring over conversion. A triangulated anti-wrap bar is a must. But even with one, The stock springs still take a beating. I've heard that people have incorperated toyota springs with the jeep spring to help with the wrap issue, cuz toyota's come factory as a spring over. But I'd get more info on that.
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tumbleweed13;186087]I believe he was referring to braking the axle, then limping off the trail. Not having a C-clip fall out.

Considering the 31 splines on the 8.8, if you break one, you're in a situation bigger than having a c-clip fall out.

Another thing to think about with the 8.8, I remember seeing that the 8.8 used on Rangers only has 28 spline for some odd reason, even though it has the same width as the Exploder.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Tumbleweed - I don't use this jeep as a daily driver but for driving from the house to trail. Whenever I go somewhere far like Pismo I flat tow it. Would having a SOA be a problem for flat towing? Would driving this to the trail become more trouble than its worth with a SOA? I want to get into some harder trails but I was so hesitant to do so with that Dana 35. Now that I'm in the process of building up the 8.8 I wonder if an SOA would make the jeep to tall?

What is a perfect height for a jeep that doesn't make it to top heavy for crawling? I just don't want to do the SOA and have it topple over on the first big rock.

I got the 8.8 out of a 2001 Exploder. It has the 31 splines and 3.73 gears.

6spdYJ - When you said to go onto JeepAholic .com and look for a "no bind" traction bar does that mean someone makes one on there? Or would I be looking for a used one? Would it be worth my time to make one?

Comment

Here, try this link. http://jeepaholics.com/tech/bambar/
          -sons of thunder

Comment

I've been wheeling on a Superior S35 on 33s for about three years now. I've done some pretty difficult trails from Big Bear, to Calico, to Johnson Valley, even attempted a hammer gatekeeper once! I havent had a single problem with my axle in regards to its strength. An 8.8 or 44 would be optimal, but I plan on running the S35 until it breaks, and with what I put it through, it dosent appear to be anytime soon.
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by carmaniac57 View Post
              Tumbleweed - I don't use this jeep as a daily driver but for driving from the house to trail. Whenever I go somewhere far like Pismo I flat tow it. Would having a SOA be a problem for flat towing? Would driving this to the trail become more trouble than its worth with a SOA? I want to get into some harder trails but I was so hesitant to do so with that Dana 35. Now that I'm in the process of building up the 8.8 I wonder if an SOA would make the jeep to tall?

What is a perfect height for a jeep that doesn't make it to top heavy for crawling? I just don't want to do the SOA and have it topple over on the first big rock.

I got the 8.8 out of a 2001 Exploder. It has the 31 splines and 3.73 gears.

6spdYJ - When you said to go onto JeepAholic .com and look for a "no bind" traction bar does that mean someone makes one on there? Or would I be looking for a used one? Would it be worth my time to make one?
              If your Jeep isn't a DD then an SOA wont be a problem. When you take off from a dead stop, all the torque from your excelleration causes the springs to warp, or wrap. After enough of this, the spring will get metal fatigue, become brittle, and eventually break. This is not an issue when flat towing. If your only driving to the trail and on the trail, this shouldn't be much of an issue, if at all. Alot of it depends on your driving style. Make sure you get that triangulated track bar. There are some good ones out there, that are great for crawling.

I don't know what the perfect height is. An SOA with stock springs is about a 4.5 to 5" of lift. This should be plenty of lift for, up to 35" tires. RE makes, or made a 1" lift spring for an SOA. But I don't know if you can get those anymore. Good luck. How about some pics of your build.
              It was like that when I got here.

Comment

How goes the battle?
                -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                X