Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana 35 blew up... what to upgrade to next?? D60?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 35 blew up... what to upgrade to next?? D60?

Hi guys, I was in Gorman yesterday. My ARB spider gears some how blew up. I could install a new ARB and keep the same set up or upgrade any of the following:

1. D44
    2. Ford 8.8
    3. D60

Bottom line I don't want to worry about my rear end ever again. I have looked at prices for the D44 and D60 through 4 wheel parts. I still have leaf springs so the intall is relatively easy. Frank from SB truck says the Ford 8.8 is great and a bolt in, but by the time it takes him to find, build and install the used 8.8, I can get a brand new D44 or D60 from 4WP (less disc breaks in the rear.

i don't have space to work on the jeep at my place so I will be paying either Frank of South Bay Truck or someone else if any of you have any ideas or recommendations. I would like to see about gathering the parts myself (i am a bargain shopper) rather than just allow a shop to pick them up and mark up the parts another 20%.

This is a bit of a ramble but if I am going to be spending anywhere from 2-4 grand I would like to make an educated decision before spending the money. Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated in advance. It is kind of fun to drive my YJ around in front wheel drive only now... feels like my Saab

Thank you,
    Brett

Pick A Part half off weekend comming in Feb 5,6. Thats were i'm headed to look up the 8.8 and take my time and build it up. If the axle you get is full price is about $180 and 90 bucks on the half off days. Save some cash and get your gears and lockers, trusses or what ever.

Comment

8.8's aren't that hard to find. They are in the most popular SUV on the road... the Ford Exploder. Errr.. Explorer.

The 60 is going to be the strongest if you don't want to worry about it ever aagin, but you will loose ground clearance with it.

Comment

Is the 8.8 a pefect match for the YJ, or do you have to shorten it?

Comment

Basically it is a perfect swap. The 8.8 is about .5 inches shorter than a Dana 35c.

Comment

If you are short on fab skills there is a company that you can buy and 8.8 housing that is bolt in to your YJ. I think they are about $600. But they have the perches and the shock mounts in the right place. I think they even come with the right parking break cables. Also you can buy c-clip eliminators that along with eliminating the c-clips widen the axle and inch.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Each side of the 8.8 is roughly 5/8 of an inch off. There are a lot of people that say "to heck with it" and bolt it in without moving the perches.

I moved mine.

Get one from a 96 or later Explorer and you get disk brakes as well...

Comment

The 8.8 I had need the perches moved a few inches and the pinion angle was not correct for my CV drive shaft. I would count on moving the perches.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Thanks Scott, what is the name of the company that sells the 8.8 already modified for the YJ? $600 is still a great price. My guy in the South Bay was going to make me pay $600 just for one from a junk yard.

Comment

There's lots of XJ 44's on CL for $300-$350. It's the right width and bolt pattern with 30 spline axles. Just flip the perches. The e-brake cables should fit the backing plates too. The 44 also has nearly unlimited gearing options.
                    The Explorer 8.8 is just a little narrower, not enough to care about. I've read that some have 31 spline shafts, although c-clip. They have the right bolt pattern too. The post '95's can also be found with disc brakes, 4.10's and posi. The e-brake may be more difficult. They have monsterous tubes - 3" if I recall.
                    Another option is the Chrysler 8.25" from XJ's. They are 29 spline and offer the right width and bolt pattern. They are also c-clip, but the e-brake cables go right in. The gears are limited to 4.56.
                    You can also find a Scout II 44. These are about 2" narrower and have a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. You have a lot of options going this way, but you need to keep in mind that the axle is at least 30 years old and the bearings are probably shot. The advantage is that they have the 1/4" thick tubes that don't taper. They have the same shaft length from side to side, so if you feel the need to have a spare, you only need one. They also have the same 5/8" offset of the pinion that your Dana 35 has.
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Hi guys,

Thank you all so much for the great ideas and advice. I found a shop in Yorba Linda, CA (RWKHaus Supply) that will find, build and install a ford 8.8", w 4.88" ring and pinion and a new ARB as well. Great news about ARB, I called them and told them what happened to my current ARB (spider gear grenaded) unit in my Dana 35C. The rep Mark offered to send me a new unit for either my current D35 or Ford 8.8" for only $650. Also ARB will offer a free compressor next month so I will be able to upgrade or replace my current unit that is 11 years old. All in I will have the new Ford 8.8" in my YJ for about $2100. I am very happy with this price. I will keep you all posted. Robert's link and contact info is below:

http://www.rwkhaussupply.com/

Thanks,
                      Brett

Comment

Working...
                      X