Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
    My pickup spent 8hrs on the dyno trying to jet an Edelbrock carb. We gave up on that piece of junk and went to a Holley.
    I feel yer pain. Not a fan of Edelbrock carbs. Ran a Predator 1250 on a 351 cleveland in pro gas eliminator class (not sure what class that is these days, maybe pro comp) NHRA. Loved that carb set up; it made massive amounts of HP. In a '72 Vega it was a blast.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

You guys sure it's not a timing problem?
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
        You guys sure it's not a timing problem?
        If it was timing the engine would run rough at all altitudes. What he describes is that it runs ok at "home" but gets rough going up the hill.

Comment

Well I jetted from 57 to 55 and now the soot is dry instead of wet. I had ordered 54 also so I guess I will try those next. I will need to get new plugs to because they are fowled now it wont run to much soot. I might order some 53 and 52 just in case.
          It's not leaking it's marking its territory.

Comment

Originally posted by neilbyrd View Post
            Well I jetted from 57 to 55 and now the soot is dry instead of wet. I had ordered 54 also so I guess I will try those next. I will need to get new plugs to because they are fowled now it wont run to much soot. I might order some 53 and 52 just in case.
            Yup! Sounds like you're getting there fast. One more jet change and you should be pretty close. How far did you drive it before you pulled the plugs?

Comment

Hopefully he changed the plugs same time he changed the jets so he dont get a false reading from the previouse jet usage. Need to drive up a long steep grade in a higher gear 1:1 and at the top pull over fast and check the plugs. Driving around town is not goin to give you a good reading. Engine needs to be under a good load like it was on a dyno pull.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                Hopefully he changed the plugs same time he changed the jets so he dont get a false reading from the previouse jet usage. Need to drive up a long steep grade in a higher gear 1:1 and at the top pull over fast and check the plugs. Driving around town is not goin to give you a good reading. Engine needs to be under a good load like it was on a dyno pull.
                Yes, agree 100%.

Comment

I drove up bee canyon to the big flat area above the shooting area and back to my house before checking them (about 10 miles). By the time I got back to my house it was barely running, thats when I pulled the plugs and saw all the dry soot. I will change the plugs and drop the jets 2 more sizes when I get them and give another go either saturday or sunday.

Comment

Make sure your floats are adjusted right also.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                      Make sure your floats are adjusted right also.
                      Good point. We know that the engine is running too rich. It might be caused by improper jetting, but it could also be caused by improper fuel level in the bowl if the float level is out of adjustment or the float valve is not closing tightly because of wear or age. I'm not familiar with the Avenger carb. Is there an external adjustment for the float level or do you have to take the carb apart to adjust it? Also check the float itself to make sure that there are no holes in it caused by corrosion. I would think that if the problem is due to the float level, the problem would occur at low and high altitude, but maybe it is running rich at low altitude but not enough to cause misfiring until you get to high altitude. But as Kurt said in an earlier post, just do one change at a time, whether it is the float, the jets, or different spark plugs.
                      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                      KI6MLU

Comment

Last time I checked the float level it was at the bottom of the sight plug and the carb is only a coulpe years old and has external adjustments for the floats. As much trouble as this has been I am almost thinking I should just get a np435 and swap in the 318 mpi I have sitting around here.

Comment

Ya check the float level. I've seen all kinds of stuff get stuck in the needle and seats.
                          Pieces of rubber hose is the most common.

Comment

Well I checked the float today and as soon as I pulled the sight plug gas poured out, so I put the clear plugs in and adjusted the level to just under the glass. I checked the seat and it was clean. the secondary level was ok. I put new plugs in it and left the jets alone for now. I will take it up the canyon a bit tomarrow and see what the plugs look like after that. Then I will see if I need to jet smaller.

Comment

You're getting a lot of advice here and that is a good thing. I just want to remind you to make one change at a time, and it helps to write down each change as you make it so if you need to go back you know where to go. I learned that from past experience in drag racing. Lists are a good thing...

Comment

Yes I have been taking baby steps. I fix computer controled machines for a living so I know how important it is to move one thing at a time. Yes, I have gotten alot of good information from all of you guys and I want to thank all of you for that. In the morning I will be taking it out to the canyon again and see if it all pays off. Hopefully the improper fuel bowl level was the last problem causing the richness.

Comment

Working...
                                X