Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Power for 2.5L

I have a 97 TJ with a 2.5L engine, I remember in the begining years ago I wanted to get rid of it due to lack of power, not so much offroad, but on the highway I could barely due 55 MPH. Forget it if I had a headwind or uphill with the air conditioner running. I am sure some of you with 4 Bangers can relate.

Anyway thru the years and trail and error my jeep has grown up a bit. Not so much size wise, it only has a 2in BB and 31s and lights, grill gaurds, and more. See looks nice. But it has come a long way as far as power. O yes it did not happen over night. I currently have a accel coil, accel 8mm wires, NGK plugs gapped at .037, Magnaflow muffler and free flow catback.

I also have a homebrewed cold air intake, insulated air tube, custom Throttle body spacer. My jeep was running much more faster and had more power. She was a joy to drive anywhere off or on highway. My lastest mod on or about 12/15/10 was a 4.0L throttle body swap. Yes you have to swap out and keep your 2.5L sensors. I also bored out the intake manifold a little.

My concern before installation was, am I gonna lose torque. Will after installing and reseting the ecu, the engine started just fine, it did rev a bit high for a few minutes, but after it idled for about 15 min she settled down to normal and smoothed out. My fovorite mod up to this point was my TBS.

But now the 4.0L TB is head to head with my custom TBS. Let me tell you when I then took off slowly for a test run not knowing what to expect. Worried that if something goes wrong with my rig, the wife would chew me out. I was more than pleased with the results. Instant off the line response, It was like power on tap, I almost could not shift fast enough, then also I could reach higher revs faster if I wanted to. Then upon entering the freeway she took off just like I wanted her to, fast, quick, responsive.

I reached 80MPH with no problem, and with a headwind uphill she would hold 65 to 70 MPH with less throttle. This swap brought all my other mods ALIVE!, like times 2. Wow my jeep is like my pesonnal roller coaster. POWER ON TAP. I would highly recommend this swap to any 4 Banger out there.

Or bigger Throttle Body to those with 4.0L engines. Maybe to a 62mm or a 68mm along with bigger bore in manifold. I do have a homemade cold air box that has a adjustable air flow plate, and right now I have it tuned pretty good for power and mileage. Yeah some times to much air in or out you can loose torque, to little air in or out you can restrict power.

Gotta find your sweet spot. O buy no means this mod works all by itself, it all adds up with all my other mods and works as a whole. Anyway highly recommended for more power.
    Last edited by NAILER341; 01-29-11, 10:01 PM. Reason: not finished closing

Wow, that's remarkable! One queation though, will there be any issues when you have to have your Jeep smogged?
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

No there should not be any problems getting smogged all sensors are still in there proper location, and all readings are normal. Nothing is left disconnected, or altered as far as electrical sensors go. Actually my rig should be running cleaner due to more fresh air running thru the system.

Comment

Thats really cool, I just hope the smog guys dont nail you on something
        I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

I dont understand what would they get me on? We will find out in time I guess.

Comment

Depends on who you go to. Some guys may have the time and resources to check part numbers. Some will see someting that would fail a visual but they realize that it really doesn't make a difference, they'll just tell you to fix it. The key is to make it look like it growed there. If they don't see red flags, they probably won't look for any.
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

I will keep that in mind. Sounds good make it look like it grew there I like that.

Comment

O yeah I just bored out the bottom of my 4.0L throttle body today. I did not want to go to big so little by little it went from factory 55mm to 57mm. On bottom side only, top side is already 60mm. Hooked it back up and I think that is the biggest I will go. A LiL more quicker of the line than before, real smooth idle and crawl speed, and reach top end a little faster. It does seem I lost just a tiny,tiny bit of torque on high end, so I will not go any bigger. But it is still good. Man I tell you what 2.5L are real sensitive. Gotta be real careful, to much air in or out you can loose torque, not enough you have no power gain. I will consider a electric fan.
                Last edited by quicksand97; 01-14-11, 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I had a 4.0 throttle body with a TB spacer for years on my 2.5. I went thru at least 2 smog checks, and never had a prob. You should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it.
                  It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by quicksand97 View Post
                    O yeah I just bored out the bottom of my 4.0L throttle body today. I did not want to go to big so little by little it went from factory 55mm to 57mm. On bottom side only, top side is already 60mm. Hooked it back up and I think that is the biggest I will go. A LiL more quicker of the line than before, real smooth idle and crawl speed, and reach top end a little faster. It does seem I lost just a tiny,tiny bit of torque on high end, so I will not go any bigger. But it is still good. Man I tell you what 2.5L are real sensitive. Gotta be real careful, to much air in or out you can loose torque, not enough you have no power gain. I will consider a electric fan.
                    Airflow is important but so is air velocity. If you go to big you will lose velocity to small you loose flow so there is a happy medium. If you can raise the flow without losing velocity that is the best case senario. I put a bigger throttle body and opened up the manifold on my chevy truck and ran it a the track for comparison. In the end I figured out the heads and cam were the biggest limiting factors. Changed to a higher flowing smog legal aluminum head and put in a smog legal cam and it ran ~2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile and 5mph faster.

Comment

You are absolutly right, I do have a home brewed cold air filter box with a air flow adjustable sliding plate. I am able to manually adjust and fine tune the amount of air coming in. I will probabably mess with that until it is fined tuned again. Since I lost just a tad of torque on highway speeds I do not know which way to adjust yet. Let more air in or less? Since the throttle body is allowing more air in do I need more from air filter or less to increase presure. I guess we will find out thru trail and error. Thanks.

Comment

Here is my lil 4 Banger. She is my one and only daily driver right now.

Comment

Hey where can I go wheeling or lets say a offroad trail cruise. I gotta baby my rig right now, she is our only vehicle. Sold our 2 trucks cutting back. I have to baby her, she is our grocery go getter. O yea I am in Oceanside, Ca.

Comment

You must be really close. We shop at the Albertson's (College & O'side) where you're "off-roading" in your picture. That's where they put up the temporary Christmas tree lot once a year.

I know there's not a lot of places to wheel around here, but you really shouldn't be driving off that private property to "pose" like that.

The San Jacinto Mountains aren't too far, FishPOET has posted a ton of those trails recently in the Map section. Also, Ocotillo Wells is only a ways down the road.

If you just want easy stuff, there's a couple 2wd trails for some nice scenic views going up Palomar. Google for Nate Harrison Grade.

Anza is a neat place with tons of places to explore as well, but from Oceanside, it's just about as far as Big Bear, which has TONS of trails.
                            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

NO ITs NOT ME. Yes it is just kidding and yes you are right, that is right there at oceanside blvd and college. I guess I lived in texas to long. In texas you can go offroad on any pacth of dirt you see. Well I guess I am not in kansas anymore. I cant believe I have been back here 3 years and have not gone wheeling anywhere. I need a trail guide so I know where to go. Do you live near by? Anyway thanks for the tip and heads up.

Comment

Working...
                              X