Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: D 35 spider gears

Looking for a set of D35 spider gears to revive a fellow jeep. Yup, upgrade would be nice but..... you know the rest of the story.
    I have a set but they must be D30's, they dont fit the 35 with the c clip.

Thank you,
    BobO
    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
    (Charles Wells)

[COLOR="Sienna"]Will look through garage today. Wife is pestering me to get the Christmas lights down anyway.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Looking for information here. Dont they make different thickness shims for the spider gears? I cannot seem to find them. There seems to be too much end play in the axle when all assembled. What should the end play be? and how do I adjust it? If I add a shim between the axle spider gear I cant get the c clip in. Please advise me if you can. Thank you.
      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
      (Charles Wells)

Comment

The D35-C has straight roller bearings. The c- clip only keeps the shaft from sliding out. The inward thrust control is against the carrier pinion shaft. The side hypoid gears do have a shim, but it's purpose is to be more scrificial like a bearing. It provides two surfaces for an oil film between the carrier body and the gear. In theory, the side gears only turn during a vehicle turn. This is why when somebody does the one-wheel wonder burn out, it causes extreme heating and wear on these gears. Especially on the small spiders in the D35-C. The only way you will eliminate lateral play is to change to a pressed bearing, non c-clip or a full floater such as a D-60. Even then the pressed semi floater like a D-44 will have a slight amount of play.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
          Even then the pressed semi floater like a D-44 will have a slight amount of play.

Whoa.. Well if by slight you mean no noticable, but possible one thousand or maybe less (.001), then I guess.

You should never be able to push in and pull out a D44 axle and feel any, or measure any, side end play.

As for adjusting the D35 end play. You Could try a C-clip assortment that has the diff thickness C-clips, like those that come with the ARB's or such. but you will still need some play...
          *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

Yep, unless your retainers are bent...
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

Thanks guys.
              (Charles Wells)

Comment

I may have a whole D35C clip assembly for you with a disc break conversion kit. I have brand new Cromoly axle shafts. The bad part is that i had an ARB locker in it and somehow the spider gears blew up yesterday in Gorman. The worse part is that I was not even locked when it happened ;( You will need to add a differential of some sort to complete it. You can add a brand new ARB for around 750. i am going to upgrade to a Dana 60 so I never ever have to worry about my rear end again

Just let me know.
                B

Comment

Working...
                X