Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
    I thought you siad it was the yoke at the diff that was doing this. If it's at the cardon that is something else. You're right; probably is the u-joint wearing out. Tom Woods should take care of that for you. They have been good to me so far but all I did was ask for a new accordian boot that I scraped off in JV.
    It is the U-Joint that connects to the diff, but the play is not on the two ends that strap on to the diff, but the two ends that are attached to the DS.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Well I called TW this morning and basically they guy told me that the play in the U-Joint is normal and that I shouldn't be concerned unless it's a large amount of play like 1/8 of an inch or if I'm feeling a vibe. It's no where near that much play, so he advised that I tap on the snap rings to make sure they are seated properly and throw it back on. He also gave me a glimmer of hope on the rear shaft and mentioned that there is a possiblity that some grit or something got in there and caused the noise, but I'll just have to keep an eye on it, but he said there should be noise, vibe, play in the shaft prior to a castistrophic failure, so hopefully I can just keep a close eye on it and get somemore time on it before it needs a rebuild. Time will tell . . . I'm sick of messing around with Driveshafts, but have become pretty proficient at removing them!

Comment

He is right a small amount of side to side play is normal and does not cause any problems or noise. If there is play when twisting the yokes it's time to replace them. So by the sound of it that U joint is ok

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          He is right a small amount of side to side play is normal and does not cause any problems or noise. If there is play when twisting the yokes it's time to replace them. So by the sound of it that U joint is ok
          Thanks Art!

I guess I'll throw it back on and at least have my insurance policy in place in case the Rear DS decides to act up again.

Comment

$#!% $#!% $#!% Being paranoid and listening for every little sound thinking it's the DS, I started hearing a noise, I still had the front DS off so I put it back on, then removed the rear thinking it was making noise again but thought that maybe this time it was really really faint because I'd greased it up . . . nope made the same damn noise without the rear DS. So I pulled the front DS the other day for no reason thinking something was wrong with the U-Joint, and pulled the rear for no reason today thinking it was making noise. The noise I'm hearing is probably something stupid like some mud in the brake or rocks in my belly pan or something. At least I'm getting good at removing the driveshafts!

Comment

When I had mystery sounds, I checked the transfer case fluid. It was low. I filled it and the noise went away.
              God forgives, rocks don't
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                When I had mystery sounds, I checked the transfer case fluid. It was low. I filled it and the noise went away.

Just went thru and changed the TC and Tranny Fluids about 4K miles ago when I did my preemptive strike on the thing. I think my mind is just playing tricks on me.

Comment

Working...
                X