Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit locker question

Tell me guy's and gals
    My plan is to have installed Detroit lockers in the front and rear.
    I don't want to deal with cables or switches but not sure if I should go with a Detroit limited slip in front and a Detroit locker in the rear or just put Detroit limited slip front and rear, I don't do any rock climbing but I want to be able to get out of a mess if i have too.
    This is my daily driver and i don't want to do anything that is dangerous for street driving freeway etc.
    besides the lockers, the gears are going to be re geared to 4.56 and the axles will be beefed up (Superior axle's) work will be done by Brothers.
    So the question is:
    Will i be safe on the road with Detroit Limited slip in the front and locked in the rear or limited slip Detroit front and rear.
    Thanks again!!!

Ps..Just want to say thank you to everybody for all the advice that is sent my way, you guy's are awesome!

I've read good things about the Detroit True-trac. I have no personal experience though.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

Detriots front and rear

I have the detroits front and rear. Driving curvy roads, like coming down from Big Bear is a challenge. You have to get completely off the gas in the corners. Also in town when making a 90 degree corner, you need to let off in the middle of the corner, and then back on the throttle. I have also noticed a lot of tire wear on the road. They work great off the road. Next time, I would go with something I could turn on and off.

Comment

Fredo, if you want good street driving and to have all the traction you need in a pickle then it's either an Electronic locker an Ox or my personal favorite a pair of ARB's in my book the selectable lockers are well worth the extra cash. You get the traction you want when needed, it drives like a normal stock jeep on the street and when needed it has all the traction you can ever want. Like it or not Detroits have funny street behavior, chirping tires, lifting a tire out of a turn. Just stuff most people do not really care for.

Comment

I have been driving jeeps for years with detriots. I don't even notice them any more on the street. In the mountains you have to learn to power through the corners and not load and unload them. that being said I would not have them in a DD because of tire wear, and bad street manners. The new tru-trac is great for the street. But as Art said the ARB is the best for the street and hardcore offroad. Your tires will wear twice as fast with a detroit in the rear on or offroad.
          Last edited by curtis; 10-05-10, 07:25 AM.
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

If you are going to be driving mainly on the street I would sure recommend ARBs. I ran them on my CJ7 for many, many years. I also run Detroits on my FToy, but it does not see the street.
            Rich

Comment

I have had a few different set ups in my jeep heres my experiences. 1st was a stock tracloc limted slip in the rear and open in the front with over 100,000 miles on it. Worked ok but it was wore out and "limited" and would act like an open diff in certain situations probably because it was wore out. Did John bull with this setup with very little issues. Changed that to an auburn ected for the rear and a detroit truetrac for the front. The auburn ected locker worked better than the wore out LS. It was a limited slip when not energized and locked the clutch pack up when energized. I felt it wasn't giving me a true locked rear and had issues on one obstacle in motino wash. I feel the eaton elocker is a better setup because it actually locks up cogs and not a clutch pack. The front detroit trutrac was great for everthing as long as both the front tires stayed on the ground. If one tire did lift you can ride the brake and get the diff to lock up better in certain situations. Its kinda hard to do that with a stick, an automatic would of been alot better. It was also easier on the front axles because its still considered a limited slip. Didn't notice it at all on the street. I beat the heck out of that stock dana 30 and if it had true locker it would of gave up the ghost a long time ago. Now I have a detroit locker in the rear and a spartan lunch box locker(like an aussie) in the front. I do recomend running aftermarket axles (not alloy brand) like superior and keep stocks for spares. Being fully locked is definatly harder on axles (broke a rear crappy Alloy brand first time out on motino wash). The detriot worked the best out of all of the rest I have had for rock crawling or offroad. Positive locked feel and being able to crawl over almost anything is awesome! The spartan in the front also works awesome. The locker in the front is not even noticeable when driving around town in 2wd. The rear is a little quirky when going into corners but like Curtis said you either need to let off and coast or drive through the corners. I also noticed when in 4wd there is some front end push when turning sharp (not a big deal with a short wb jeep though). I wouldn't recomend a rear detroit for an everyday driver especially in the rain. The nicest thing about it is I dont have to worry about extra failures points like cables breaking (ox),Wiring issues(elocker), airlines leaking or breaking or airpumps & solenoids failing(arb). The detriot is there when I need it an also there when I dont lol. Arb's are probably the best and most expensive option but everyone I know that has one has had at least one failure most likely from a leak of some kind. It also has the most parts that can fail out of all the other options. I guess you got to take the good with the bad in all setups.

If you dont plan on to much rock crawling IMHO I would stick with limited slips in front and rear like detroit trutracs and leave the axles stock. Shoot! Mrbash has pretty much gone everywhere alot of us have gone with open diffs. So with trutracs ls it be that much easier. I am pretty sure the military humvees still use truetrac type limited slips in all of their vehicles so its a proven design. This is just my take and opinion and my jeep is not a daily driver.
              Last edited by Jeeperator; 10-05-10, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Guess I will add my life experience with ARBs. I had them installed in 1995 (this was probably not long after they were introduced - I had a friend who became Utah's first distributor) and they are still on the Jeep. I never had a failure with the ARB blue line. I think they are the best way to go; just route them through the frame and away from the exhaust. I had friends who used the stainless lines, but they are heavy and worked the joints and failed. I have had solenoid failures. I just carried a spare. Easy to fix and not very expensive. I had the early switches fail and they sent me the new ones. This was many years ago.

I really think they are the right way to go on a street rig.

Good luck on your decisions. Lots of options out there.
                Rich

Comment

I agree, the blue plastic line is trouble free when properly routed, a properly installed ARB locker is trouble free and works like a charm

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]One more vote for selectable lockers. The Detroit I was running in my YJ liked to try to change lanes on me whenever I loaded it while driving down the street. Trying to pick up a little speed to pass someone or change lanes became interesting. But I got used to it after a while. AND it does eat your tire life up quickly.

You don't do any "hardcore" offroad, but geared for 4:56 & Superior shafts sounds like you plan to get into some sticky situations.

Hope you make a choice that's good for you, and it's funny how sticky situations seem to jump up at me and the YJ sometimes.[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

ARB and never look back. Best bang for the buck and virtually trouble free. Make sure you get someone to install them that knows what they are doing and you'll be happy. Your wallet will be lighter, but you'll be happy...
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                        The nicest thing about it is I dont have to worry about extra failures points like cables breaking (ox)
                        I'm curious. Have you actually every broke a cable on an OX locker? I have yet to see one.

I ran OX for about 4 years before switching to ARB. I switched because OX does not make a locker for the 14 bolt. Prior to that I was running an Aussie. The Aussie is a great lunchbox locker and I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a dependable locker and is on a budget.

After having a selectable locker I would never go back to a lunchbox locker. When I went to the selectable lockers I to was weary of ARB because of all the talk of compressor issue, leaks, etc. Having said that I now have ARB’s and I will never own another type of locker. Having the ability to just flip a switch and it’s on is really nice. Especially being able to turn the front off when navigating through tight trails. I have been running mine now for a few months and have not had any issues that were not a fault of mine.
                        Check out .

Comment

ARBs baby! Wife drives our Xcursion daily, family wagon.

Front & rear ARBs have been on the rig for over 100k miles, no issues. I think its all about setup and running the lines correctly.

Just an option, since you're not really hitting the rocks, maybe just a winch will do.
                          YJ Stock
                          BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                            I'm curious. Have you actually every broke a cable on an OX locker? I have yet to see one.

I ran OX for about 4 years before switching to ARB. I switched because OX does not make a locker for the 14 bolt. Prior to that I was running an Aussie. The Aussie is a great lunchbox locker and I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a dependable locker and is on a budget.

After having a selectable locker I would never go back to a lunchbox locker. When I went to the selectable lockers I to was weary of ARB because of all the talk of compressor issue, leaks, etc. Having said that I now have ARB’s and I will never own another type of locker. Having the ability to just flip a switch and it’s on is really nice. Especially being able to turn the front off when navigating through tight trails. I have been running mine now for a few months and have not had any issues that were not a fault of mine.
                            I have never owned a ox locker and I have only read and heard of failure issues with the cables. Btw I drove my jeep today for the first time in the rain and didn't really notice the detroit locker in the back. I thought it might be an issue turning corners but it was no big deal. I have never had my jeep change lanes by itself while driving on the road either, go figure. I actually like my KISS (keep it simple stupid) alternative for offroad but I dont recommend it for a daily driver.

Comment

I have a Detroit in the rear only. Open in front. The road manners don't bother me too much. The Detroit does remind you to check your tire air pressure. Those of you that have one know what I'm talking about. There are times I wish I would have gone ARB or OX. I like the idea of not having the rear locked for some trails. Makes them a little more interesting. I also tow the jeep to the trail and it sits more in the garage than being wheeled.

Comment

Working...
                              X