Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHES'S ALIVE and kickin again

Well, after 6+ long months, the XJ is back on the road again and better than ever. Some of you might remember the post many months ago about a clattering noise I had. At one point I thought it was the timing chain that had over a 1/2" of slop...so I repalced it. To my disapointment, that wasnt it. I tore into the engine and found that the number 4 piston had a couple of cracks below the oil ring, but found that the number 6 piston completely broke the skirt off from wrist pin to wrist pin just below the oil ring. With alot of patience of waiting to be able to afford new parts..my job with NASA and all of the overtime has finally paid off. I completed it this last weekend and a few bumps of the key to oil up the newly installed pistons, rods, rings and bearing...she purrs like a kitten. She is ready for the 2010 season. Now...on to the next project..my 69 Nissan Patrol is in the garage and restoration has begun.
    Hope to see you guys on the trails. Halloween Haunt at Calico will be her maiden voyage.:gun:
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Good to hear Kirk, the other guy I had lined you up with actually had his 4.0 go out right then. It was a 12,000 ish mile fresh motor - he bought it from a parts store. It was DEAD. He kept describing his compression across all cylinders as 120psi and then nothing. He was getting fuel and spark. He just found that the indexing pin on the cam sprocket had sheared. It was a roll pin and not a solid. Glad you got yours figured out.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

I have heard of those pins shearing, but usually with considerably more miles than 12k. Im excited to have the XJ back.
      Thankyou for assisting with the motor hook up even if I didnt get it. This fix cost all of a few hundred dollars.
      Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Working...
      X