Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 231 lifespan

Just wondering how long a mildly used 231 transfer case goes before needing a rebuild. Mine has 155,000 on it and the bearings seem to have a slight whine, but with the ragtop, it's tough to tell where each sound is coming from.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

It's my understanding that the chainstretch is more of a trouble spot than anything else. the thing runs on ball and needle bearings as long as nothing feels rough when you turn it and there doesn't seem to be to much slop in the drive chain you should be good.

Comment

Ive got 245K on mine. Its the only part of my drivetrain that hasn't been rebuilt or replaced yet.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
        Ive got 245K on mine. Its the only part of my drivetrain that hasn't been rebuilt or replaced yet.
        Well, now you've gone and done it. Better start looking for a new 231 (241?) now... :-/
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

210K on my 231. Still goin...
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Changing the oil in it ocasionally will prolong it's life. I change all my fluids every 25k.

Comment

wait till it grenades then !!!! with it. worst case is buy a used one off craigslist for 150 bucks.

Comment

Working...
              X