Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: front d/s output yoke

I'm wondering if the front output yoke on a YJ transfer case can be drilled out for a cherokee front driveshaft.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

why would u want to use a cherokee shaft instead of a yj shaft? youre not gaining anything? unless u are asking if u can use a front xj shaft as a rear shaft then the answer is yes.

Comment

It's not what I'd gain, it's what I'd lose. I'm getting a vibration from the driver's front that starts around 35 and goes up from there. It didn't change with tire rotation. The YJ has a standard shaft. With the XJ, I'd have the double cardan to reduce u-joint vibrations. Until I win the lottery, I'll have to stick with the t-case drop and goofy angles. So, with that said... Can I drill it out?
      -sons of thunder

Comment

I say gopher it. What's the worst that can happen if you screw it up? You've lost a YJ non-CV yoke; buy a Cherokee yoke and run it.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

The whole reason I'm looking to do it this way is 'cause I'm still celebrating this hope and change that has me bailing out Chrysler, GM and the banks that won't adjust my rates lower.
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Charge it!
            holes = cowbell

Comment

What's your card number, expiration and 3 digit security code? I'll get right on it.
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Change in plans, The YJ front shaft I have is 10" longer collapsed than the XJ shaft I have when it's extended. Guess I'll just see if the vibration goes away without the front shaft in. David, no need to rush the card info now... Ever move the CPS yet?
                -sons of thunder

Comment

Thanks for letting me know, I was gonna post all that up in my next reply.

I don't know why I didn't bring that up before. I realized a few months ago that the XJ front DS is shorter than the TJ or YJ. Whooda thunk?

CPS is still in stock position. Jeep still isn't smogged. I think I told you I did do that mod, though. Since everything is up so high, I'm thinking I should make a removable panel for the tunnel to make moving the CPS back and forth easier--for offroad use only, of course
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

It's so easy to reach with a 10mm combination wrench, it's not worth the hassle of a panel. It's easiest to reach from below. Just use the box end and have the handle angle toward the front of the motor. Twist, twist, slide, twist, twist, ROCK! Twist, twist, slide, twist, twist, smog. When you do try it, let me know what you think.
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

I have a 92 YJ front shaft if you need. It is not bent but the slip yoke needs to be replaced. It has a lot of play and was causing a vibration. I kept it because sometimes they are hard to find. Oceanside driveline quoted me for $100.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                      X