Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking axle seal

I put new bearings and seals on my 44. One of the seals has been leaking. Is there any way to change the seal without destroying the bearing and keeper?
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

One thing to check when you get the axle out is to make sure there is no scoring on the area the seal rides on the axle shaft. My son had a leaking seal issue due to that reason. They sell sleeves that are about 0.002 inches (if I remember) that gets installed on the axle shaft so that the axle shaft presents a nice surface for the seal to work against.

Good luck.
    Rich

Comment

Check out this link. http://www.alliedbearings.com/mfg_pr...edi/index.html

This is something I have used for years to repair worn seal and bearing surfaces. Easy to install and durable as hell. You can get them from any bearing supplier and I have a few that I use regularly. If you go that rout give me a shout and I'll get you in touch with a guy at Precision Industries. Great guy and good prices.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

leaking seal

there called speedy sleeves .use them at work all the time .any auto parts store should have em .

Comment

Still does not answer the question of how to get the rear wheel bearing and retainer ring of a dana 44 rear axle shaft without destroying the bearing and retainer ring. Truthfully I don't think it is going to happen, you can try to cut the retaining ring and see if you can press the bearing off without destroying it. The seat you are going to replace anyway. If you can find the retaining ring it's worth a try or machine yourself a new retaining ring

Comment

I can cut a new ring. The shaft is in good shape, I just got a bum seal. Thanks Art
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
            X