Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: A little shimmy at slow acceleration...

OK Folks... I know this is the place to go to have all my questions answered...

So... took the CJ out for a little ride-about today with my awesome wife Carmen! She knows my Jeep is going to break down at any second or around any turn or over the next bump...

We went out to Lytle Creek... I noticed that when I start off... slow accerleration... the gear shifter and transfer case handles shift and shimmy a little bit...

It feels like something is loose, but I can't identify what and where... We hear a knocking sound too... can't figure out exactly where that is coming from either...

I crawl under the Jeep to inspect and can't find anything... Any help from you guys would be much appreciated...

Tomorrow I will try to post up a video of what shimmy's and what shakes with the sound effects...
    Regards,
    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

look for a solid tranny mount, and a t case torque mount,
    also inspect the motor mounts
    censored for having an opinion

Comment

Or a U joint seizing up

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
        look for a solid tranny mount, and a t case torque mount,
        also inspect the motor mounts
        Ok... Here's where I show my ignorance... The only mount I can find is at the t-case where it connects to the cross member... That one looks good, as far as looks go...

Is there another mount? For the transmission? I am sure this will get the prize for the "Stupidist Question Ever Asked" on MJR.

Aart, I checked the U-joints... they look good... no distringuishible wear and seem to move/rotate fine.
        Regards,
        Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

Comment

no sure on you rig but here should be a second torsion mount that keeps the trans/tc from twisting sideways on acceleration
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by 66cj6 View Post
            no sure on you rig but here should be a second torsion mount that keeps the trans/tc from twisting sideways on acceleration
            Jim
            Thanks Jim... Where do I find this second mount?
            Regards,
            Randy

Comment

Randy,
              You can't really tell if the Tcase mount is bad by looking at it ,unless it's just completely blown out, and trying to move it by hand, not so much either. You need a breaker bar or big screwdriver to pry on it and see if it moves a sustantial amount. It should feel tight and and hard to move more than a inch or less. If it feels really sloppy or loose and easy to move and you can see the top half of the mount moving and the bottom half (the part bolted to the cross member) not moving at all, it's broked.
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by mybrokenjeep View Post
                Thanks Jim... Where do I find this second mount?
                usually on passenger side bolted to the crossmember, and I agree with ratpatrol.......you may need someone to shift in/out of gear while you lay on the ground looking at it
                I had this very issue on my cj6 last year (broke my trans mount on the Rubicon)
                Jim

Comment

If you have a hard time figuring it out Randy, you can always come visit me.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    There's your answer Randy! If Art can't fix it, it's not broken! Not only that, but he's only a hop, skip, and a jump away from you....
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                      Aart! You are the man! I will try to come by to see you on Monday afternoon... Thanks!
                      Regards,
                      Randy

Comment

Sure no problem Randy see ya then

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                          There's your answer Randy! If Art can't fix it, it's not broken! Not only that, but he's only a hop, skip, and a jump away from you....
                          Roger,
                          I thought it was "once he's done fixin it it's broken"
                          Just kiddin Art.
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Where is the fun in fixin, if ya cannot break it Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                              Roger,
                              I thought it was "once he's done fixin it it's broken"
                              Just kiddin Art.
                              No Kurt, You have Art mixed up with me in that department...
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X