Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front driveshaft recommendations?

well I twisted and bent my second stock size front driveshaft in the yj.

The local driveshaft shop is not big into 4x4's, so looking for advice from others and what size/diameter tubing to have the front shaft made out of.

It is a fairly long shaft with standard u-joints. I run a 4.2, auto, and a locked d30 front if that helps.
    "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Go for a thicker wall size on the driveshaft, you can up the diameter too. Biggest thing is not to ding or bend it.

Comment

I don't thing i have dinged it. I think i have just twisted it. no marks on it and the bend is a long gradual bend, with the yokes now out of phase by 30* or so.

Comment

Up the thickness of the tube and don't look back

Comment

Google Tom Woods driveshafts......great product/prices/service
          I used him on my cj6 front and rear and can't speak highly enough about them
          Jim

Comment

Coast Driveline is in Ventura depending on where you are. They make great stuff
            [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

I have not used these guys but I have heard good things. They are local.
              http://www.drivelinesinc.com/
              Check out .

Comment

dropped the shaft off at local shop in Bakersfield, earlier this week, going from 1 1/4" diameter to a 2" 0.120thick shaft. also changing to a longer slip joint so that I can extend the wheelbase another 1-2" without having to modify the shaft again.

They called today should be finished tommorrow, for a bit cheaper than the online vendors standard pricing.

The guy i talked to this week seemed to be a bit more experienced than the guy i talked to last time i had them change a shaft for me.

Will update when i get the shaft and either add a thumbs up and price for the local guys or say dammit shoulda went with a bigger name shop.

Comment

Got the new shaft installed last night. Almost double the diameter of original, a little close to the exhaust downpipe, but clears trans well. the length and slip are perfect for the future stretch on the front.

did good on freeway this morning, no vibes at any speed. next test is to get the jeep offroad and see if it holds up to the torque when front end gets bound up.

course that test has to wait, swapping out cylinder head, exhaust, and radiator this weekend. going to a 4.0 head on the 4.2.

Comment

On your new Driveshaft did you have them bump you up to .120 wall that will help with twisting.

Comment

yes i did, went from a 1 1/4" shaft stock sized, to a 2" 0.120 shaft with 3" more slip.

Comment

Small update, after todays trail was glancing under the jeep saw that there were a few rub marks on the driveshaft from the tranny cooler lines, that i had thought had enough clearance. Gotta move those a little bit other than that no complaints.

Comment

Working...
                        X