Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '78 Cj-5

I'm looking at buying a '78 CJ-5 with a 4 cyl in it, but they guy is also giving away a running 304 V8 with it. Will this bolt up to the same trans and bellhousing? It doesn't seem right to me but he seems to think it will. Thanks!

Steve
    Steve Butler
    04 Wrangler Rubicon

68 Bronco White
    80 Bronco

72 F250
    53 Ferguson TO-30
    04 Car Trailer =)

I'm not sure about it bolting up, but I would imagine that the tranny would be a little overpowered (i.e. because its for a 4 cylinder).
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I think it's a T18
      Steve Butler
      04 Wrangler Rubicon

68 Bronco White
      80 Bronco

72 F250
      53 Ferguson TO-30
      04 Car Trailer =)

Comment

A T18 is an iron case trans and pretty stout, I think a stock 304 will be fine. I believe this is the trans they used in the factory 304 equipped CJ's. Lots of T18 swaps out there for 350 chevys, so I'm sure a 304 is no problem. I believe he is right on the bellhousing also. I think the bolt pattern on all the engines was the same from 76 - 86. I know for a fact that a 304 is the same pattern as the 6 cylinder, but I'm not positive on the 4 banger.
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

It should bolt in. The T-18 was never an option from the factory behind the V-8, unfortunately. The V-8 will be a nice upgrade for you.

If you are interested in a site that caters to AMC V-8s, visit Bulltear.com. He makes a lot of custom AMC V-8 stuff, as well as some cool Jeep stuff. You will find quite a few guys there with Jeeps with AMC V-8s, especially 401s. Lots of tech help from them too.

Hope it works out for you.

Oh, by the way, between 76 and 79, some of the Jeeps that came with the Granny first T-18, also came with 4.10s in the axles, so you might have found an awesome start to a rock crawler.

Erik

Comment

Visit Novac or Advanced Adapters Website for the answer because at least one of them has a writeup of all year engines and bellhousing bolt patterns. I think it was on the Novac site I had seen it. This will take the guesswork out of patterns, transmissions and what works with who.

Rick
            " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
            Rick W6RE

Comment

Working...
            X