Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie locker

I am considering the Aussie Locker for my stock Dana 30 with original vacuum motor disconnect.
    All I am looking for is a means of making both wheels work 50/50 when one is slipping without dropping any more $ than needed.
    The rear has a trak lock which for what I get into is fine for now, just looking to help out the front end.

Anyone have experience with this unit ??
    Scars are souvenirs you never loose, the past is never far.

You should get Great 88 to post up on this one. I believe that he went with the Aussie Locker on his Dana 30 and could not be happier with the price vs. performance that he got.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Dean,

I love my Dana 30 Aussie front locker. I would not have spent the money on my rear OX locker if I had started with the front locker. I also have Superior axles up front, but what a difference! Mottino, John Bull, Bullfrog, never using my rear locker at all. Have fun with your new adventures.

Mitch

Comment

Was extremely happy with mine. Its shakedown run was on the 'con last week. So nice to watch the fronts climb,m rather than trying to bounce them over stuff.
        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

I run an Aussie up front in my YJ. It’s really easy to break ujoints on the trail with a front locker only when you are on stock shafts. I will be doing a rear locker soon to hopefully avoid breaking more ujoints. I’m on 33s and I deleted my vacuum disconnect and use XJ non-disconnect shafts. I have an 8.8 that is open. Maybe your track loc will lessen the work load on the 30 enough and you won’t break ujoints as often.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Scott you should try to score some TJ shafts they have the bigger U joints compared to the older XJ shafts.
            Aussie lockers work well, even on the street.
            In my book a lot more street driving friendly than a Detroit locker.

Comment

My XJ shafts are the newer style XJ shafts that have the larger spicer 297 ujoints it dosn't take much to break them. I even used full circle snap rings on the caps.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I don;t know Scott, haven;t broke a spicer 760 yet and I don't really play nice with my baby

Comment

Scott, I was thinking about that, and I suspect you'd probably break fewer axles if your rig had more flex and let you keep your wheels on the ground better. That would help your rear axle connect and your front as well. Obviously that's easier said than done with leaf springs--you don't want wrap or hop either.

dktool, I ran my TJ for awhile with a front D30 Aussie and (worn out) rear D44 Trac-Lok, and the combo was definitely a huge improvement over stock. There were a couple of times I probably should have broken something, but I never have. With some advice and encouragement from Art and others on this board, I finally got around to swapping out the rear LS for the rear Aussie (I'd actually bought first), and it really wasn't too hard. I agree with what others have said--you won't find more bang for your buck. Lock 'er up and drive like it's open.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

If I leave the axle disconnect, the ON-road handling will be the same as if it was an open carrier because even though the diff. is locked the axles are not connected to each other. Is this correct ??

Scars are souvenirs you never loose, the past is never far.

Comment

I'm running them front (D30) and rear (AMC 20)... 36" Swampers, cromo shafts in the rear. Can't be happier. For the $$$... you can't go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by dktool View Post

If I leave the axle disconnect, the ON-road handling will be the same as if it was an open carrier because even though the diff. is locked the axles are not connected to each other. Is this correct ??
                        As long as you are in 2wd the Aussie is invisible aside form some clicking through turns. If you have one of them funny transfercases, and like to run in 4wd on the street, then yes you would want to keep the CAD
                        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by dktool View Post

As far as the front is concerned, your on-road handling will be the same without the disconnects. The way the Aussie (and similar) locker functions is that the wheels are free to spin independently until power is applied. As long as your front driveshaft is not providing power, things will work the same (with the exception of a little clicking on turns, maybe). I've never been blessed with vacuum disconnects, but I think the consensus is :thumbs_do:poop:
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

I'd agree with all thats been posted. I have Lock Rights on front and rear of my 76 cherokee. I believe they work very similar to the Aussie's. I notice a clicking when turning when not in 4wd, but handles just like an open diff. Love them in the rocks in 4wd. Great power distribution to all 4 wheels.
                            Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

The Aussie is a good way to go. I've been rocking one in my D30 for a few years now. Its awesome.
                              95 YJ
                              2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

Working...
                              X