Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it depends on where u drive your jeep. sometimes limited is the way to go. especially if u drive in the snow or on ice at all.

Comment

They do not really swap gears they just sell ya a factory axle as they come with either 4.10 or 3.73 gears

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"] Sounds really good. I'm still installing my 8.8 into the YJ. As stated, it's not that complicated. Not sure what he's talking about with the brakes, mine had no problem right from the yard once I replaced the cut brake line. I've been advised to have the axle tubes welded to the diff as they have a tendency to turn. [/COLOR]
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I have a line on a free 8.8 from a Ford Ranger. I don't know the gear ratio yet, but the Ranger had a 4 cyl with overdrive so I would guess 411??

Any major obsticles to installing it in a CJ7?
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger measure the width from wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face if it's close to yours you should be good. Still, your AMC 20 axle is a good axle since you upgraded the axle shafts. You just need to find some gears and a carrier or a locker that is a carrier also for the gearing you want

Comment

Roger, the ranger 8.8 almost all have the 27 spline axle shafts. Youre better off looking for and explorer axle. You can look at the tag on the diff cover if it is still there. Then decode it here:
              http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford13.htm
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                I have a line on a free 8.8 from a Ford Ranger. I don't know the gear ratio yet, but the Ranger had a 4 cyl with overdrive so I would guess 411??

Any major obsticles to installing it in a CJ7?

Dont forget, the Ranger 8.8's are 28 spl.
                An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Working...
                X