Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.8?????

My Father-in-law has an XJ and is looking to replace his rear end. He found this on craigslist and called the guy who seemed very cool and knowledgeable, I was curious if anyone else had used him, seems like a very good deal. 8.8 for $400 set up for your rig. Here is the add:

We custom built axles.
    I have a ford 8.8 rear end for the Jeep cherokee/comanche/wrangler.
    With disc brakes. Factory Limited slip locker.
    The spring perches and shock mounts are ready to be welded in.
    Brakes converted for jeep application
    Tell me what you have and it will be ready for pick up with all mounts in place.
    Direct bolt up to your jeep. Same wheel bolt pattern you have now. Basically the same width.
    Has a bigger spline than a dana 44. I can install in your vehicle for additional cost $200.
    I can also re-gear to desire ratio and install lockers for a labor cost of $250.

I also have a rear dana 44 and dana 60 for a jeep.
    Both dana can be custom made to your needs and narrowed to desired width and bolt pattern.

Custom front Dana 30/44/60 are also available.
    By appointment only. I only work on 1 rig at a time due to space. Turnaround is 8 to 10 hours on the install........................................... .....................

As I said this is for my father-in-laws XJ which has a factory open 35....any input?

All depends what they give you for the 400 bucks.
    The 8.8 is a good axle but you can find them a lot cheaper on the Junkyard. All you do is cut of the Ford perches and weld some on that will fit the XJ
    Take it from the junkyard with all the brake hoses, they should hook up to the brake line on the Jeep.
    If the 400 bucks includes the adapter flange thing for the driveline it is not all that bad, still I would price that. You very well might be able to find an axle and all the parts for around 200 to 250.
    I installed one on a YJ a while back was not that big a deal. The money they want to install it though is not a bad deal

Comment

I like the price. My local junkyard wands $200 for an 8.8. I wouldn't mind paying $200 for the install. I helped install one on an XJ and it took us all day with the two of us working.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Scott it took me a couple of hours and that included cutting perches of that where in the wrong spot.
        It's not all that involved

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
          I like the price. My local junkyard wands $200 for an 8.8. I wouldn't mind paying $200 for the install. I helped install one on an XJ and it took us all day with the two of us working.
          No, the guy wants $400 for the axle PLUS an additional $200 for the install.
          An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Sounds like a fair price to me. The 8.8 is alot more axle than a 35. Installed, perches welded, you don't know what your doing, he does, sounds good tome, Kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              Scott it took me a couple of hours and that included cutting perches of that where in the wrong spot.
              It's not all that involved
              It may not be all that involved, but it was Scott & Sean doing the work, which means it was really involved... :hide:
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

All day includeds the time it took to go pull it at the junkyard. We didn't have a welder big enough to weld the perches so we had to do the work at seams work. Maybe it would be a better deal of you foun your own axle and brought it to him.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Dont forget the 12 page thread
                  An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Correct, 400 with your choice of gears and set up for your rig, and 200 more if he installs it. So to drop it off in the morning and pick it up that afternoon with an 8.8 installed for 600......sounded pretty good to me.....thanks for the feedback guys as always great info.

Adam

Comment

Not too bad, missed the choice of gears part.

What gears/ tires are you planning on running?

Comment

As I said this is my Pop in laws XJ, he is running 32's right now and probably wouldn't go bigger than 33's. I should clarify also, your choices are 1 of 3. 373, 411, and one other not sure....

Comment

With a limited slip in it, you will be replacing the carrier when (if?) you do a locker.

I have one in my jeep, wish I had gotten a open carrier, but cannot complain at all.

Comment

Sounds like a decent deal. I swapped an xjd44 and the materials cost was about the same once all the little stuff was accounted for.

with an 8.8 he will no longer have a ticking time bomb and can feel free to go bigger when he wants to with tire size.

a lot of people say max 33" tires, then shortly after are stepping up sizes(looks in mirror..haha).
                            "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Do you have the actual link?

I would like to check out what else he has to offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X