Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27 spline or 30 spline?

Looking to lock my new HP D30. Do I go with new 30 spline axles or new 27 spline axles and carry my stocks as spares?

Soon to be setup: New setup will be 33's with 4.88's, but will eventually go with 35's.

Main wheeling: ROCKS

Thanks --Damon
    My Jeep cost's me more than my wife...

I have had good luck with 27 spline superior shafts and 35" tires

Comment

Damon,

30 spline should be a little stronger at the splines, but of 2 that I have broke, one was in the middle of the shaft not the splines. These were rear Dana 35's. Another thing, you can always find replace/back up 27 splines but not 30 splines. Good luck.

Mitch

Comment

In this case I feel that bigger is better. I'm guessing that when you go to 30 spline you'll also go to chromo shafts. that will also increase strength. In my experience, when I went to a bigger tire, I bent the outer flange. When I removed the axle, the axle was twisted at the spline. I upgraded to 30 spline and never had another prob. They may not be a easy to get but you wont be waiting for the inevitable. It's gonna happen.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

30 spline.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

30 spline rock, and are worth the upgrade money. I run chrome moly 27s in the CJ5 and have not had an issue with them also so I feel good about them also, either are an upgrade over stock and Rocks do not take excuses.
            It is just a matter of how far up the ladder you want to go, or spend the money for. Nothing is bullet proof so choose what is both affordable and comfortable, as I do not do trails such as the Hammers, the upgraded 27 shafts are my comfort level.
            I can not make you decision, just justify mine and hope you use it to decide if you need better or the same.
            good luck
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

My reason for choosing the 30 spline is simple. The chances of the axle shaft breaking at the splines or in the locker go way down.

I broke a 27 spline warn axle inside of the locker on a miserably failed attempt at the doran entrance. When the locker and axle all let go at the same time, the price for repair parts goes way up.

Sure, Warn replaces the axle shaft, but you are still left with the residual damage. In my case it was an ARB and set up costs.

I have since upgraded to the 30 spline ARB and Superior 30 Spline axles.

The "Super 30 kit". Throw in some CTM's and you are in business.

I also ran the Warn small hub kit. This is a great set up as well, but I found myself breaking too many hubs. I quickly realized that after breaking 2 hubs on one side it is best to replace the inner axle shaft. It is now fatigued and will likely break inside the locker.

I am now running the Super 30 with some prototype Superior Dana 30 Drive Flanges.

Since going this route, I have had no more hubs breaking and have had good luck with the Dana 30 over all.

Where the weak point is now, I have not yet figured out.
              I'll let you know when I find out.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Good info. Thanks everyone.
                My Jeep cost's me more than my wife...

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                  30 spline.
                  x2. I ran a dana 30 for years with 4.88s, and ARB and 35 inch tires, with premium warnhubs and chromoly warn shafts and CTMs. In 4 years of trails from dirt roads to the Hammers, I never did break it. Keep your foot off the skinny pedal and a 30 spline dana 30 will take you a long way.
                  Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Working...
                  X