Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie or Lock-Rite in the front.

I'm looking to get some cheap traction up front( or any where on my open diffs). I plan on replacing my D35 and don't want to spend money on it.

So I want to put something in the front.

My ? is I am going with either an Aussie or lock-Rite, is upgrading the shafts necessary? Or are the stocks strong enough?

I'm running 33's and once I replace the rear I'll move up to 35's.

Without knowing what level of trail you run this is a difficult question to answer.
    If it is within the budget to get the superior alloy axles, this is obviously the best solution. If it is not within the budget, get a cheap pair of used OEM axles to carry as spares.

When you buy your aussie or lockright, get a spare set of springs and pins to put in your diddy bag.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Nothing to extreme, mostly the moderate to advanced stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by smashcoast View Post
        Nothing to extreme, mostly the moderate to advanced stuff.
        Then take Eriks advice. Get a spare set of stock axles and an Aussie and you'll be good.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

X2 on the above. I have a Lock Right in mine and stock shafts. Havent had a problem yet. Just have to be light on the skinny pedal in the rocks. Should serve you well for what you are doing.
          Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

If you have a choice between the Aussie and the Lockright get and Aussie. I run an Aussie in my HP30 and have an open rear for now. But like everyone else said, carry spare shafts. And if you can carry spare unit barrings too. Not that you will break them but it makes the shaft swap quick and easy if the unit bearing is already on your new shaft. One thing to think about when you are putting a locker in your front axle only is this. Your front axle is the weaker axle and that is because it was never intended to work on its own. It is only engaged when the rear axle is also helping. So if you loose traction in the rear all of the torque load will be on the front. Even worse is when you lose traction in one front tire and one rear tire. In that case all of the torque will be on one wheel(axle) and this is when they are most likely to break. But as long as you are mindful of this you will be fine. Having the locker up front is great for being in the rocks. If you spend a lot of time in sand and snow you would be just as happy to lock the rear first. Good luck.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

And for the sake of anything holy, get a couple of dental tools for yer jeep tool kit, so when you have to werk on that front shaft you can take them lil pins and springs out!
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
              X