Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 plug weld

I noticed I have a plug weld seeping a bit on my 44. Seeing as I don't have a welder, would there be any problem with drilling, tapping and putting a grade 8 in there?
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

I cleaned my up with a dremmel and some brake cleaner and used some black RTV. It's been years with no leaks.

Comment

My concern is that if it cracked a weld, is the tube going to twist? I'm running the 4.0 and NSG-370. This came off a Scout running a 345 and unknown tranny. The damage was already there, I just don't want to keep it going.
      -sons of thunder

Comment

You should weld it. I know I'm a long way away, but I'll weld it if you bring it here.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I was wondering because it looks like Currie does this with the rock jocks.
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
            My concern is that if it cracked a weld, is the tube going to twist? I'm running the 4.0 and NSG-370. This came off a Scout running a 345 and unknown tranny. The damage was already there, I just don't want to keep it going.
            The tube should not spin because of one rosette weld. Those a pressed in and rosette welded in a number of places. Clean it up real good and look at it with a flash light. You should be able to see the cracks in the weld. The cracks are only going to spread as far as the hole in the housing.
            My D44 came out of a mid 70's F250. It's pretty common for the rosette welds to leak over time.

Welding it would be best.

Comment

Working...
            X